HELP needed for a small script

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by David, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. David

    David Guest

    First off all, my apologies if this message has no direct concern with
    this group
    I'm actually looking for help with a script for my website I couldn't
    find on the web

    In order for my customers to track their orders, the script would open
    a txt file looking like:

    00001;we are preparing your order
    00002;we are preparing your order
    00003;your order has been shipped
    00004;we are preparing your order
    00005;we are waiting for your payment
    00006......

    The customer gives his order reference (field 1) in a "search" text
    box, the script checks out the txt file and the page then returns
    order status (field 2)- If order reference does not exist, page
    returns for exemple "Order does not exist"

    As I'm a newbie (sorrrry ;-), how do I place this script in my html
    page ? Do I have to create a .cgi file ? Cut & Paste in my page ???
    What about CHMOD ???

    I'm not asking for a complete course but I would be so grateful for
    your help regarding this matter !

    Thanks in advance guys ;-)

    David

    David, Jan 9, 2005

  2. "David" <> wrote in message
    > First off all, my apologies if this message has no direct concern with
    > this group
    > I'm actually looking for help with a script for my website I couldn't
    > find on the web
    >
    > In order for my customers to track their orders, the script would open
    > a txt file looking like:
    >

    > 00001;we are preparing your order
    > 00002;we are preparing your order
    > 00003;your order has been shipped
    > 00004;we are preparing your order
    > 00005;we are waiting for your payment
    > 00006......
    >
    > The customer gives his order reference (field 1) in a "search" text
    > box, the script checks out the txt file and the page then returns
    > order status (field 2)- If order reference does not exist, page
    > returns for exemple "Order does not exist"
    >
    > As I'm a newbie (sorrrry ;-), how do I place this script in my html
    > page ? Do I have to create a .cgi file ? Cut & Paste in my page ???
    > What about CHMOD ???
    >
    > I'm not asking for a complete course but I would be so grateful for
    > your help regarding this matter !
    >
    > Thanks in advance guys ;-)
    >
    > David

    Hi David, I think what you're after is a combination of PHP and MySQL rather
    than javascript. The overheads in terms of sending all of you clients' data
    with the web-page would be huge and would have implications in terms of
    confidentiality and what have you. If, on the other hand the data is on the
    server and only produced upon proper authentication then you'd be onto a
    winner. The page would be quicker and thus your customers happier. In terms
    of learning how to do what you want there are loads of books knocking about.
    If your server doesn't support it then maybe ASP. cgi would also work I
    guess but I like PHP!
    Cheers, Dom

    Dominic Myers, Jan 9, 2005