Help needed in choosing an algorithm for Cryptographic services.

abhishek

Hi group, recently my employer asked me too implement encryption/
decryption for secure data transfer over internet. Problem is that the
client application is written using C# and the webserver where i need
to store the information is developed using python.

My situation of dilemma is which cryptographic method suits me best
for this purpose.

Help/Suggestions are urgently required

Thank you ,
Abhishek

Paul Rubin

abhishek said:
Hi group, recently my employer asked me too implement encryption/
decryption for secure data transfer over internet. Problem is that the
client application is written using C# and the webserver where i need
to store the information is developed using python.

Use one of the SSL wrappers. Note that if you're using a recent
Debian distro, make sure to take the latest OpenSSL update since they
had an unbelievably bad screwup that destroyed their versions of
OpenSSL's security for a while. That applies to all Debian based
distros including Ubuntu, but not to non-Debian derivatives such as
Fedora.

Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner

Data security is a complex and difficult problem, and you are likely
to fail in the worst possible way: implementing something that is
weak but that you believe to be strong. Some advice: (1) Use
off-the-shelf products like PGP or GPG; don't write your own.

full ack.
(2) Read Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography to get a feeling
for the dimensions of the problem.

While this book is most certainly worth reading, I doubt, that it is
necessary to gain in-depth knowledge of cryptography to make use of it in
your code.

If you transfer data over SSL-connection, you should rely on them being
safe, you don't need to understand the details. You only need to know,
what SSL can protect against, and what it can't protect against.