Help Needed: Passing variables securely to other ASPX pages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Doruk, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. Doruk

    Doruk Guest

    The problem that we are experiencing is simple:

    We want to pass certain parameters from a page with several server
    controls to another page.

    We want to do this in a dotnet compliant manner, but we can't seem to
    find a good and clean solution anywhere.

    The options we looked into are as follows. Comments following the
    options are why we did not want to go with them:

    1-) Use a query string
    - Too limited (formats it can carry etc.)
    - Easy to manipulate

    2-) Use Server.Transfer
    - Too messy (Browser does not see the URL change, relative paths
    fail)
    - Certain issues associated with server.transfer

    3-) Use session variables
    - Take up memory and resources longer than needed
    - The parameters passed are only associated with that call and not
    the whole session!

    4-) Dynamically write out client side script to submit form
    - Not a webcontrol
    - To much spaghetti code given the way that we are developing the
    rest of our system

    If anyone has a clean(er) solution to pass variables from a page to
    the next please let me know!!!!

    Thanks,

    Doruk
    Doruk, Nov 11, 2003

  2. You could create a base page class that all your pages inherit from.
    This base class could contain the "spaghetti code" involved with filling
    hidden fields & such. That way the messy stuff is all tucked away.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 11, 2003

  3. Doruk

    bruce barker Guest

    look at ViewState

    bruce barker, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Doruk

    Polux Guest

    ViewState works only for a single page. It cannot be shared among pages.
    Not a viable solution.

    Polux, Nov 14, 2003