Help needed with gettext.install

Eric Martel

Hi,

I'm using Mandrake Cooker and just upgraded Python to 2.3.3.

A Python-based program I use often is Pybliographer; since the Python
update, I get the following error when trying to start Pybliographer:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/pybliographer", line 40, in ?
gettext.install (progname, localedir, unicode = True)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'install'

I don't know much about Python, but here is a Python session from the
shell (for which I was inspired by something I found on Google):

Python 2.3.3 (#2, Feb 17 2004, 11:45:40)
[GCC 3.3.2 (Mandrake Linux 10.0 3.3.2-6mdk)] on linux2
>>> import gettext
>>> gettext.__dict__['textdomain']
>>> gettext.__dict__['install']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
KeyError: 'install'

So it really looks like the 'install' method is not available for the
object 'gettext', while the method 'textdomain' is. I talked about it on
a Cooker list, but no one was aware of what could cause this problem
(and I was apparently the only one to experience it), so I'm asking to
you guys: do you know what could be missing/wrong on my system to cause
such an error?

Thank you!

--
Eric Martel
Sainte-Foy (Québec)

Copyleft 2004 Eric Martel
(http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/)

Eric Martel

Eric said:
[...]

I found out that the problem was with the new gettext.py file that was
installed with the Cooker update I did: for a reason I don't know, the
file was very different from the one found inside the official Python
2.3.3 sources: I just copied the latter onto the bad one and everything
was fine. I alerted the Cooker community.