help needed with if- else cases

pereges

in my program i have a piece of code like this -

int left_count, right_count;
left_count = right_count = 0;
for all triangles
{

a = condition that x coordinates of all vertices are <= split.x
b = condition that x coordinates of all vertices that are >= split.x

if(a is true)
left_count++;
else
if(b is true)
right_count++;
else
if(!a && !b)
{
left_count++;
right_count++;

Now with the above code, I get left_count as 1200 and right_count 619

When I did not have the else if(!a && !b), I was getting 581 and 581
which is 1162 i.e. triangles which are only in left box and only in
right box . Not the ones that belong to both left and right boxes. So
that means triangles which are on both sides totals to about 38. I
believe 619 for right_count is correct but theres something fishy
about lefT_count which should also be 619 or so in my opinion. Prior
to changing the code in the above manner i had if cases like below -

if(a is true)
left_count++;

if(b is true)
right_count++;

else
{
left_count++;
right_count++;
}

And I was getting left_count and right_count as 1200 and 1200 which
was quite surprising to see.

**actual code **

for(i=0; i<(*kd)->maxtriangles; i++)
{

a = (*kd)->v[(*kd)->t[i].v0].x said:
t.v1].x <= (*kd)->split.x &&(*kd)->v[(*kd)->t.v2].x <= (*kd)-
split.x;

b = (*kd)->v[(*kd)->t[i].v0].x said:
t.v1].x <= (*kd)->split.x &&(*kd)->v[(*kd)->t.v2].x <= (*kd)-
split.x;

if(a)
left_count++;
if(b)
right_count++;
else
if(!a && !b)
{
left_count++;
right_count++;

Ben Bacarisse

pereges said:
[...]

The two patterns are quite different. The "else" applies only to
nearest "if" so in your second case, when a is false right_count is
always incremented since the if ... else increments it in both arms
regardless of the value of b.

You don't need the !a && !b test in your first version because it is
guaranteed to be true at that point in the code:

if (a)
left_count++;
else if (b)
right_count++;
else {
left_count++;
right_count++;
}

is the same.

Barry Schwarz

in my program i have a piece of code like this -

int left_count, right_count;
left_count = right_count = 0;
for all triangles
{

a = condition that x coordinates of all vertices are <= split.x
b = condition that x coordinates of all vertices that are >= split.x

if(a is true)
left_count++;
else

This else does not exist in either set of code below. Fortunately it
makes no difference (except for a pathological case) but you need to
be precise in your descriptions.
if(b is true)
right_count++;
else
if(!a && !b)
{
[...]

Given your description of what a and b represent, both should not be
true except for a pathological case I will ignore for the moment.
However, both can be false.

If a is true, b must be false. You increment left_count twice, once
in the first if and one in the else. You also increment right_count
once in the else. Let a be true A times.

If b is true, a must be false. You increment right_count only once in
the second if and never increment left_count. Let b be true B times.

If both a and b are false, your increment both left_ and right_count
in the else. Let this condition occur C times.

left_count must equal 2*A+C.
right_count must equal A+B+C

The only way left_count can equal right_count is if A == B.
**actual code **

for(i=0; i<(*kd)->maxtriangles; i++)
{

a = (*kd)->v[(*kd)->t[i].v0].x said:
t.v1].x <= (*kd)->split.x &&(*kd)->v[(*kd)->t.v2].x <= (*kd)-
split.x;

b = (*kd)->v[(*kd)->t[i].v0].x said:
t.v1].x <= (*kd)->split.x &&(*kd)->v[(*kd)->t.v2].x <= (*kd)-
split.x;

And here is the error that forces A to be equal to B. Your
comparisons for b should be >=, not <=. One might also argue that the
comparisons should be said:
if(a)
left_count++;
if(b)
right_count++;
else
if(!a && !b)
{
left_count++;
right_count++;
}

If you indented more than one space and did so consistently, tit would
be much easier for you to tell what went with what.

Remove del for email