Help! Newb having trouble getting a WHY'S example to work...

Guest

------=_NextPart_000_038E_01C4ABC3.9DE290A0

Hey, I've been an avid reader of the Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby ever since
I discovered it (poignantguide.net), but while the material is excellent, it
is reduced in effectiveness because I'm reasonably certain that the writer
doesn't run (verbatim anyway) the code that he puts in some of the
tutorials. Namely, I'm having trouble getting a "lottery" tutorial to work,
and I'm too much of a Newb to see easily what the problem is. When I run the
code I get an error like so: "warning: class variable access from toplevel
singleton method"

My code is below, would anyone mind please skimming it and letting me know
what the errant code is? I appreciate it!

Regards, Abe

p.s. the code below is verbatim from the guide itself - I thought that
perhaps I'd mistyped something and so I copied and pasted the code into
Mondrian (the IDE I'm using)

class LotteryTicket

NUMERIC_RANGE = 1..25

attr_reader :picks, :purchased

def initialize( *picks )

if picks.length != 3

raise ArgumentError, "three numbers must be picked"

elsif picks.uniq.length != 3

raise ArgumentError, "the three picks must be different numbers"

elsif picks.detect { |p| not NUMERIC_RANGE === p }

raise ArgumentError, "the three picks must be numbers between 1 and
25."

end

@picks = picks

@purchased = Time.now

end

end

class LotteryTicket

def self.new_random

new( rand( 25 ) + 1, rand( 25 ) + 1, rand( 25 ) + 1 )

rescue ArgumentError

redo

end

end

class LotteryDraw

@@tickets = {}

def LotteryDraw.buy( customer, *tickets )

unless @@tickets.has_key?( customer )

@@tickets[customer] = []

end

@@tickets[customer] += tickets

end

end

LotteryDraw.buy 'Yal-dal-rip-sip',

LotteryTicket.new( 12, 6, 19 ),

LotteryTicket.new( 5, 1, 3 ),

LotteryTicket.new( 24, 6, 8 )

class LotteryTicket

def score( final )

count = 0

final.picks.each do |note|

count +=1 if picks.include? note

end

count

end

end

class << LotteryDraw

def play

final = LotteryTicket.new_random

winners = {}

@@tickets.each do |buyer, ticket_list|

ticket_list.each do |ticket|

score = ticket.score( final )

next if score.zero?

winners[buyer] ||= []

winners[buyer] << [ ticket, score ]

end

end

@@tickets.clear

winners

end

end

LotteryDraw.play.each do |winner, tickets|

puts winner + "won on " + tickets.length + " ticket(s)!"

tickets.each do |ticket, score|

puts "\t" + ticket.picks.join( ', ' ) + ": " + score

end

end

------=_NextPart_000_038E_01C4ABC3.9DE290A0--

Markus

There were about five minor problems (three missing to_s's, a
scoping issue with LotteryDraw's play & @@tickets, and a redo that
should have been a recursive call.
I tried to change the structure as little as possible, so that you
can see what I did.

-- Markus

class LotteryTicket
NUMERIC_RANGE = 1..25
attr_reader :picks, :purchased
def initialize( *picks )
if picks.length != 3
raise ArgumentError, "three numbers must be picked"
elsif picks.uniq.length != 3
raise ArgumentError, "the three picks must be different
numbers"
elsif picks.detect { |p| not NUMERIC_RANGE === p }
raise ArgumentError, "the three picks must be numbers
between 1 and 25."
end
@picks = picks
@purchased = Time.now
end
end

class LotteryTicket
def self.new_random
new( rand( 25 ) + 1, rand( 25 ) + 1, rand( 25 ) + 1 )
rescue ArgumentError
new_random
[...]

def self.play
final = LotteryTicket.new_random
winners = {}
@@tickets.each do |buyer, ticket_list|
ticket_list.each do |ticket|
score = ticket.score( final )
next if score.zero?
winners[buyer] ||= []
winners[buyer] << [ ticket, score ]
end
end
@@tickets.clear
winners
end
end

LotteryDraw.play.each do |winner, tickets|
puts winner + "won on " + tickets.length.to_s + " ticket(s)!"
tickets.each do |ticket, score|
puts "\t" + ticket.picks.join( ', ' ) + ": " + score.to_s
end
end

[...]

why the lucky stiff

Abe, hi,

Hey, I've been an avid reader of the Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby ever since
I discovered it (poignantguide.net), but while the material is excellent, it
is reduced in effectiveness because I'm reasonably certain that the writer
doesn't run (verbatim anyway) the code that he puts in some of the
tutorials.

Many of the examples in chapter five have little problems. A few of
them I am replacing completely. Please pardon me, there's so much to
making it all cohesive. Yeah, I'm glad you poked your head out and said
so. I wasn't aware of the problems in this section.

Give the code Markus has provided (thanks markus) a try and let me know.
It'd be great if you could come join the poignant guide discussion list
so I can followup on thiis and other readers can check in and maybe
they've had the same deal.

If this reply seems totally incoherent, sorry, I'm typing on a handheld
wee board. And I'm getting finger grease all over the place.

Ok,

_why