Help newbie with Netbeans help system/javadocs pls.

Discussion in 'Java' started by James Bond, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. James Bond

    James Bond Guest

    I am a newbie to java and Netbeans. I am having trouble understanding
    how documentation is implemented in Netbeans. Here are a few of my
    questions.

    1. What is the "Show Javadoc" option (Alt+F1 or in context menu from
    source window) supposed to do? I am given to believe that it should
    allow me to get information on specific items based on where the cursor
    is when I hit Alt+F1. For example, my understanding is that on the line
    System.out.println("whatever"); that if the cursor is somewhere on
    "println" then when I hit Alt+F1 I would get info about that method.
    However, all I get is a message in the status line of the source window
    saying "Cannot find javadoc. Check the Javadoc Manager to make sure the
    documentation is mounted".

    So I go to the JavaCode Manager, and I have the following mounted:
    jsp20-docs.zip
    junit-3.8.1-api.zip
    servlet24-docs.zip
    xml-apis.zip
    j2sdk-1_4_2-doc.zip

    The first 4 were there by default and the 5th one I downloaded from sun
    and added myself (perhaps improperly?) as part of my effort to figure out
    what is happening. So what else should I be doing?

    2. Despite Show Javadoc not doing what I would hope for, I can still do a
    Javadoc index search (from the View menu or Shift+F1) for somethings,
    like the println method mentioned above. But I notice that while I can
    learn about methods that way, there does not seem to be any info
    available about certain keywords, like "class", "public", the data types,
    etc. Is this just something that is not documented, or is perhaps in
    another place (if so, where?)?

    I don't know why I am getting so lost with this, but I am just not
    understanding precisely where documentation and help is to be found
    and/or how to properly access it. Any help is clearing up my befuddled
    mind (a monumental task, to be sure) is greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    James
    James Bond, Aug 3, 2004