Help on seting project path

Guest

Dear all,
I am actually studying ASP.net and I have read in MS press book that by
default, project defined within VS studio 2003 environement goes under
Inetpub\wwroot folder.

What I woul like to do is place all my sample project in my own defined
place like
D:\ASP.NET\Samples \Chap1
D:\ASP.NET\Samples \Chap2
D:\ASP.NET\Samples \Chap3 ...

For that I create the folder D:\ASP.NET\Samples and then create a virtual
directory on it with Alias name Samples
Then I install web server extenstion from Default Web site ->New->Server
extension Web

Then from my VS studion envieonemnt I defined a new project as :
http://localhost/Samples/test

Then oing this it either fails to creat files or create them under wwwroot
folder similar as default option, but no file at all are created under my
folder :

D:\ASP.NET\Samples \Chap1

What I am doing wrong ?

Thanks for your help
rgards
serge

Juan T. Llibre

re:
What I woul like to do is place all my sample project in
my own defined place like D:\ASP.NET\Samples \Chap1

That's quite easy to do.

Open the IIS Manager, right-click the "Default Web Site"
and select "Properties"; click on the "Home Directory" tab,
and write in : D:\ASP.NET\Samples

Now, D:\ASP.NET\Samples is your IIS Home Directory,
and you will be able to create Applications with names like
Chap1, Chap2 and Chap3 in directories under D:\ASP.NET\Samples

But, did you know that you don't need to do that ?

You *can*, even if you keep Inetpub\wwroot as your Home Directory,
create new Applications for D:\ASP.NET\Samples \Chap1,
D:\ASP.NET\Samples \Chap2 or D:\ASP.NET\Samples \Chap3
by simply creating a New Application -in the IIS Manager- and pointing
it to D:\ASP.NET\Samples \Chap1 or whatever other directory
you want to point the new application to.

The name you assign to your *virtual directory* is what determines
how you will access your physical directory, and you could name
your virtual directories "Chap1", "Chap2", or anything else you'd like.

Then, you'd simply use the "Open Website" feature of VS.NET
to create your project, or use "Create Project from existing website".

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/