Help on Store procedure and ASP web page

Guest

Dear all,

One simple question relative to store procedure withinh ASP code on a web
page.
Let say that I am calling a store procedure to execute from a server button
click on my web page. That store procedure is returning a bunch of values to
my end user.

In a matter of time based, what happen from my client web page if my store
procedure runs for 3 minutes before returning any data back.

Does the web page execution works synchronously or asynchronously in that
case ?
Does my web application will be stuck for 3 minutes ?

regards
serge

Oleg Kap

Hello serge,
Yes, potentially you page will be hung for 3 minutes, but usully your script
will time out long before that, default 90 seconds.
You might look into using AJAX to perform long time task and then when its
ready to present user with result.

Hope it helps,
Oleg

Guest

How usually people handle the fact that a database can contains a huge amount
of data which could run over the time out ?

Do they fetch the data in 2 or 3 steps ?

What is this AJAX ?

I ma new in ASP sorry