Help! Page edge is cut off when printing

Marc

http://webdev.beasolutions.com/grc/

For some reason I can't get this to print correctly. I had it resize
the main #width to ensure the title gets on the page, but the image
under the navigation on the left is still being chopped off.

I've tested in Firefox and IE6.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Marc

Neredbojias

http://webdev.beasolutions.com/grc/

For some reason I can't get this to print correctly. I had it resize
the main #width to ensure the title gets on the page, but the image
under the navigation on the left is still being chopped off.

I've tested in Firefox and IE6.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Well, I dunno, but this line:

#heading { height: auto; width: auto; padding: 0px 0px 30px -100px;}

is wrong. Negative padding is not valid in css. (-Last I heard.)

Did you check your css and html at the w3c validator?

Brian Cryer

Marc said:
http://webdev.beasolutions.com/grc/

For some reason I can't get this to print correctly. I had it resize the
main #width to ensure the title gets on the page, but the image under the
navigation on the left is still being chopped off.

I've tested in Firefox and IE6.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Marc

I know there are lots of people who have strong views on this and would
disagree with me, but I think the underlying problem is that you've gone for
a fixed width design. Okay, your menu and image on the left hand side have a
fixed width - quite reasonable, but there is no reason to set the width of
the page. Try changing your design to allow it to use the full width of the
browser window - but let it adjust. I think you'll find that your printing
problem then goes away by itself.

Marc

Brian said:
I know there are lots of people who have strong views on this and would
disagree with me, but I think the underlying problem is that you've gone for
a fixed width design. Okay, your menu and image on the left hand side have a
fixed width - quite reasonable, but there is no reason to set the width of
the page. Try changing your design to allow it to use the full width of the
browser window - but let it adjust. I think you'll find that your printing
problem then goes away by itself.

I think you're right. I'm generally against fixed width designs, but
this isn't my design, I'm just trying to fix it.

If nobody can suggest a solution to this problem I'll go back to the
designer and have him change it to a 80% width or something similar.

Marc

Marc

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Marc <[email protected]>
declaimed:

How noble of me, I didn't realise my contribution was so valuable ;)
Well, I dunno, but this line:

#heading { height: auto; width: auto; padding: 0px 0px 30px -100px;}

is wrong. Negative padding is not valid in css. (-Last I heard.)

Good point, I hadn't spotted that.
Did you check your css and html at the w3c validator?

It's not my design. The designer is supposed to validate it before
sending it to me, but I'll run it through validators just to make sure.

Thanks for your input.

Marc

Jose

If nobody can suggest a solution to this problem I'll go back to the designer and have him change it to a 80% width or something similar.

That won't fix the problem, it will exacerbate one problem with another,
and in one particular browser it will cancel out.

line width.

Jose