Help Perl and Excel

Kahan

Hi,
I have an excel file and want to read this file using Perl in cygwin.
and i want to write data in txt file

Excel file format

1100028 : /////// : ///////
1100028 : ///==== : /////////
1100030 : ///// : ///////
1100031 : ///// : /////

Ouput File Should look like

1100028:3:7:7:3:7:7:7
1100030:2:5:5:7:7
1100031:1:5:5

above means
for 1100028, there are 3 pairs with min and max values and for 1100030,
there are 2 paris with min and max values, for 1100031, there is 1 pair
with min and max values.

Can anybody help pls

u can contact me (e-mail address removed)

usenet

Jim said:
I think it would be more useful if you could post this warning as a
reply to one of the messages, if possible.

I do that already... but this is an interesting comment, because
somebody else suggested I add references headers, which I also do. I
wonder if those aren't coming through properly? I don't have access to
my GigaNews account right now (where the bot runs), but it looks like
the messages are getting to GoogleGroups with Reply and Reference
headers intact... (and if darn GoogleGroups can grok it, I would have
thought anything could).

http://tinyurl.com/p4t72

What newsreader are you using? I'd like to do some testing...

Dr.Ruud

Jim Gibson schreef:
(e-mail address removed):
Kahan:
[ snip multiposted message ]

This message has been multiposted as indicated by these message IDs:
<<news:[email protected]>

I think it would be more useful if you could post this warning as a
reply to one of the messages

But it does. Maybe your client doesn't use the References header field,
but threads on Subject?

The Subject could be changed to

Subject: *multiposted* (was: <old-subject>)

so it has the " (was: ...)" as Son-of-RFC1036 mentions.

Sherm Pendley

I do that already... but this is an interesting comment, because
somebody else suggested I add references headers, which I also do. I
wonder if those aren't coming through properly? I don't have access to
my GigaNews account right now (where the bot runs)

I'm using GigaNews - the References: headers are definitely there. But,
the bot messages are being displayed as new threads instead of followups.
What newsreader are you using? I'd like to do some testing...

Gnus

sherm--

John Bokma

Dr.Ruud said:
Jim Gibson schreef:
(e-mail address removed):
Kahan:
[ snip multiposted message ]

This message has been multiposted as indicated by these message IDs:
<<news:[email protected]>

I think it would be more useful if you could post this warning as a
reply to one of the messages

But it does. Maybe your client doesn't use the References header
field, but threads on Subject?

The Subject could be changed to

so it has the " (was: ...)" as Son-of-RFC1036 mentions.

:-D

Anyway, headers as per request:

Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc

Also, I have the feeling that those extra spaces are picked up by some
clients, e.g.

Subject: Help Perl and Excel--Multiposted
<-5->

results in:

<-5->
Subject: Re: Help Perl and Excel--Multiposted
:

Keith Keller

Jim said:
I think it would be more useful if you could post this warning as a
reply to one of the messages, if possible.
[snip]

What newsreader are you using? I'd like to do some testing...

FWIW, your bot's post shows up as a followup to the original post in my
client (slrn).

--keith

usenet

Sherm said:
I'm using GigaNews - the References: headers are definitely there. But,
the bot messages are being displayed as new threads instead of followups.

OK, on my GigaNews account using my slrn newsreader all looks fine -
the bot's reply is a followup grouped in the same thread.

What newsreader are you using? I wonder if your reader assumes that
new Subject fields mean new message threads, regardless of the other
header info? (because I DO change the Subject field). That's the only
thing that readily comes to mind... I'd like to test using your
newsreader.

All of my initial bot testing (in alt.test.test, alt.test.testing, and
alt.test2) was done using slrn and GoogleGroups, and those readers (if
you can call GG a reader) behave as I expected. But I did notice that
GG groups identical subject lines in the same thread, even if Reply and
References headers are undefined (which is unrelated to this issue, but
it is odd).

usenet

John said:
Also, I have the feeling that those extra spaces are picked up by some clients

You may be right (GG and slrn ignore them, but there's no accounting
for what some folks use for a newsreader. Who knows what Pine might
do?) I had the header template all nice and lined-up in my editor, but
it's probably better to just use a single space. That's a cheap and
easy bit of extra insurance, and this has been done.

usenet

Dr.Ruud said:
The Subject could be changed to
so it has the " (was: ...)" as Son-of-RFC1036 mentions.

I'll take your word for it on that spec (spec of a spec?). When you
say '<old-subject>' do you literally mean to enclose the old-subject in
<>'s?

So I can do this:

$subject = "*multiposted* (was: <$subject>)";

But I wonder if some folks might consider the stars a bit heavy? Maybe
"-multiposted-" would be a little lighter?

Dr.Ruud

(e-mail address removed) schreef:
Dr.Ruud:

I'll take your word for it on that spec (spec of a spec?). When you
say '<old-subject>' do you literally mean to enclose the old-subject
in <>'s?

No, see Subject of this message.

With ultra-long subject header fields, some people chop of a part and
insert a " ..." as the last thing before the closing ")", but I don't
think you'll need that.

So I can do this:

$subject = "*multiposted* (was: <$subject>)";

So that becomes:

$subject = "-multiposted- (was: $subject)";

There are even news-clients that parse that, as part of their threading
attempts, if better means like the References are absent.

But I wonder if some folks might consider the stars a bit heavy?
Maybe "-multiposted-" would be a little lighter?

Yes, lighter is better.

And maybe some clients will translate it to strike-through. <g>

John Bokma

I had the header template all nice and lined-up in my editor,
but it's probably better to just use a single space. That's a cheap
and easy bit of extra insurance, and this has been done.

Thanks. You might be right that the clients are doing things wrong, but
it's an easy fix :)

John Bokma

I'll take your word for it on that spec (spec of a spec?). When you
say '<old-subject>' do you literally mean to enclose the old-subject in
<>'s?

So I can do this:

$subject = "*multiposted* (was: <$subject>)";

But I wonder if some folks might consider the stars a bit heavy? Maybe
"-multiposted-" would be a little lighter?

I would go for

length( $subject ) > 60 and $subject = substr( $subject, 0, 54 ) . "...";
$subject = "Multiposted (was: $subject )";

_/* makes creating a regexp for kill filter maybe a bit hard for some :)

Ben Morrow

Quoth "A. Sinan Unur said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote in
Would you mind showing me exactly what the header looks like in your
reader?

I am using XNews/2006.06.28 on Windows.

So far, only this message is shown in a separate thread in
comp.lang.perl.misc. However, it is shown in the same thread
in comp.lang.perl.modules. Anyway, here are the full headers
as shown in XNews per your request:
[snip]

In a typical threaded message, I-R-T is the *last* msgid in References,
so perhaps XNews is (wrongly) assuming the threading is erroneous when
this is not the case. FWIW, trn threads it correctly in clpmisc (I don't
read clpmodules).

[snip]
Kahan said:
[ snip multiposted message ]

This message has been multiposted as indicated by these message IDs:
<<news:[email protected]>

Adding the groups would be helpful here, perhaps something like

This message has been posted several times as separate articles;
in comp.lang.perl.misc
as <.....>,
and in comp.lang.perl.modules
as <.....>.

(Getting the punctuation right would be a Good Thing.)
Multiposting is

Perhaps

This practice, known as 'multiposting', is
generally considered impolite in usenet.

'Usenet', shirly?

This message is a big improvement on the original; to the extent that
I'm reconsidering my opinion of the bot :). The removal of 'please burn
this thread' and the general appearance of politely providing
information rather than issuing edicts made the most of the difference.

Ben

Dr.Ruud

Ben Morrow schreef:
In a typical threaded message, I-R-T is the *last* msgid in
References, so perhaps XNews is (wrongly) assuming the threading is
erroneous when this is not the case. FWIW, trn threads it correctly
in clpmisc (I don't read clpmodules).

Leaving out the I-R-T might work better.