Help Perl and Excel

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Kahan, Aug 16, 2006.

  1. Kahan

    Kahan Guest

    Hi,
    I have an excel file and want to read this file using Perl in cygwin.
    and i want to write data in txt file

    Excel file format

    1100028 : /////// : ///////
    1100028 : ///==== : /////////
    1100030 : ///// : ///////
    1100031 : ///// : /////

    Ouput File Should look like

    1100028:3:7:7:3:7:7:7
    1100030:2:5:5:7:7
    1100031:1:5:5

    above means
    for 1100028, there are 3 pairs with min and max values and for 1100030,
    there are 2 paris with min and max values, for 1100031, there is 1 pair
    with min and max values.

    Can anybody help pls

    u can contact me

    Kahan, Aug 16, 2006

  2. Kahan

    Guest

    Re: Help Perl and Excel--Multiposted

    Jim Gibson wrote:
    > I think it would be more useful if you could post this warning as a
    > reply to one of the messages, if possible.

    I do that already... but this is an interesting comment, because
    somebody else suggested I add references headers, which I also do. I
    wonder if those aren't coming through properly? I don't have access to
    my GigaNews account right now (where the bot runs), but it looks like
    the messages are getting to GoogleGroups with Reply and Reference
    headers intact... (and if darn GoogleGroups can grok it, I would have
    thought anything could).

    http://tinyurl.com/p4t72

    What newsreader are you using? I'd like to do some testing...

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 16, 2006

  3. Kahan

    wrote:
    > What newsreader are you using? I'd like to do some testing...

    Would you mind showing me exactly what the header looks like in your
    reader?

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 16, 2006
  4. Kahan

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Jim Gibson schreef:
    > :
    >> Kahan:

    >> This message has been multiposted as indicated by these message IDs:

    > I think it would be more useful if you could post this warning as a
    > reply to one of the messages

    But it does. Maybe your client doesn't use the References header field,
    but threads on Subject?

    The Subject could be changed to

    Subject: *multiposted* (was: <old-subject>)

    so it has the " (was: ...)" as Son-of-RFC1036 mentions.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Aug 16, 2006
  5. Re: Help Perl and Excel--Multiposted

    writes:

    > Jim Gibson wrote:
    >> I think it would be more useful if you could post this warning as a
    >> reply to one of the messages, if possible.

    > I do that already... but this is an interesting comment, because
    > somebody else suggested I add references headers, which I also do. I
    > wonder if those aren't coming through properly? I don't have access to
    > my GigaNews account right now (where the bot runs)

    I'm using GigaNews - the References: headers are definitely there. But,
    the bot messages are being displayed as new threads instead of followups.

    > What newsreader are you using? I'd like to do some testing...

    Gnus

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Aug 16, 2006
  6. Kahan

    John Bokma Guest

    "Dr.Ruud" <> wrote:

    > Jim Gibson schreef:
    >> :
    >>> Kahan:

    >>> This message has been multiposted as indicated by these message IDs:

    >> I think it would be more useful if you could post this warning as a
    >> reply to one of the messages

    > But it does. Maybe your client doesn't use the References header
    > field, but threads on Subject?
    >
    > The Subject could be changed to
    >
    > Subject: *multiposted* (was: <old-subject>)
    >
    > so it has the " (was: ...)" as Son-of-RFC1036 mentions.

    :-D

    Anyway, headers as per request:

    Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
    <> Subject: Help
    Perl and Excel--Multiposted Message-ID:
    <> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:29:21
    -0500 Lines: 14

    Also, I have the feeling that those extra spaces are picked up by some
    clients, e.g.

    Subject: Help Perl and Excel--Multiposted
    <-5->

    results in:

    <-5->
    Subject: Re: Help Perl and Excel--Multiposted
    :

    --
    John Bokma Freelance software developer
    &

    John Bokma, Aug 16, 2006
  7. Kahan

    Keith Keller Guest

    On 2006-08-16, <> wrote:
    > Jim Gibson wrote:
    >> I think it would be more useful if you could post this warning as a
    >> reply to one of the messages, if possible.

    [snip]

    > What newsreader are you using? I'd like to do some testing...

    FWIW, your bot's post shows up as a followup to the original post in my
    client (slrn).

    --keith

    --
    -francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)

    Keith Keller, Aug 16, 2006
  8. Kahan

    Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > I'm using GigaNews - the References: headers are definitely there. But,
    > the bot messages are being displayed as new threads instead of followups.

    OK, on my GigaNews account using my slrn newsreader all looks fine -
    the bot's reply is a followup grouped in the same thread.

    What newsreader are you using? I wonder if your reader assumes that
    new Subject fields mean new message threads, regardless of the other
    header info? (because I DO change the Subject field). That's the only
    thing that readily comes to mind... I'd like to test using your
    newsreader.

    All of my initial bot testing (in alt.test.test, alt.test.testing, and
    alt.test2) was done using slrn and GoogleGroups, and those readers (if
    you can call GG a reader) behave as I expected. But I did notice that
    GG groups identical subject lines in the same thread, even if Reply and
    References headers are undefined (which is unrelated to this issue, but
    it is odd).

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 16, 2006
  9. Kahan

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Also, I have the feeling that those extra spaces are picked up by some clients

    You may be right (GG and slrn ignore them, but there's no accounting
    for what some folks use for a newsreader. Who knows what Pine might
    do?) I had the header template all nice and lined-up in my editor, but
    it's probably better to just use a single space. That's a cheap and
    easy bit of extra insurance, and this has been done.

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 16, 2006
  10. Kahan

    Dr.Ruud wrote:
    > The Subject could be changed to
    > Subject: *multiposted* (was: <old-subject>)
    > so it has the " (was: ...)" as Son-of-RFC1036 mentions.

    I'll take your word for it on that spec (spec of a spec?). When you
    say '<old-subject>' do you literally mean to enclose the old-subject in
    <>'s?

    So I can do this:

    $subject = "*multiposted* (was: <$subject>)";

    But I wonder if some folks might consider the stars a bit heavy? Maybe
    "-multiposted-" would be a little lighter?

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 16, 2006
  11. Kahan

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    example (was: Re: Help Perl and Excel--Multiposted)

    schreef:
    > Dr.Ruud:

    >> The Subject could be changed to
    >> Subject: *multiposted* (was: <old-subject>)
    >> so it has the " (was: ...)" as Son-of-RFC1036 mentions.

    > I'll take your word for it on that spec (spec of a spec?). When you
    > say '<old-subject>' do you literally mean to enclose the old-subject
    > in <>'s?

    No, see Subject of this message.

    With ultra-long subject header fields, some people chop of a part and
    insert a " ..." as the last thing before the closing ")", but I don't
    think you'll need that.

    > So I can do this:
    >
    > $subject = "*multiposted* (was: <$subject>)";

    So that becomes:

    $subject = "-multiposted- (was: $subject)";

    There are even news-clients that parse that, as part of their threading
    attempts, if better means like the References are absent.

    > But I wonder if some folks might consider the stars a bit heavy?
    > Maybe "-multiposted-" would be a little lighter?

    Yes, lighter is better.

    And maybe some clients will translate it to strike-through. <g>

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Aug 16, 2006
  12. Kahan

    John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > I had the header template all nice and lined-up in my editor,
    > but it's probably better to just use a single space. That's a cheap
    > and easy bit of extra insurance, and this has been done.

    Thanks. You might be right that the clients are doing things wrong, but
    it's an easy fix :)

    John Bokma, Aug 17, 2006
  13. Kahan

    John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > Dr.Ruud wrote:
    >> The Subject could be changed to
    >> Subject: *multiposted* (was: <old-subject>)
    >> so it has the " (was: ...)" as Son-of-RFC1036 mentions.

    > I'll take your word for it on that spec (spec of a spec?). When you
    > say '<old-subject>' do you literally mean to enclose the old-subject in
    > <>'s?
    >
    > So I can do this:
    >
    > $subject = "*multiposted* (was: <$subject>)";
    >
    > But I wonder if some folks might consider the stars a bit heavy? Maybe
    > "-multiposted-" would be a little lighter?

    I would go for

    length( $subject ) > 60 and $subject = substr( $subject, 0, 54 ) . "...";
    $subject = "Multiposted (was: $subject )";

    _/* makes creating a regexp for kill filter maybe a bit hard for some :)

    John Bokma, Aug 17, 2006
  14. Kahan

    Guest

    Re: example (was: Re: Help Perl and Excel--Multiposted)

    Dr.Ruud wrote:
    > So that becomes:
    > $subject = "-multiposted- (was: $subject)";

    Done, thanks.

    > And maybe some clients will translate it to strike-through. <g>

    Ha! Wouldn't that be just perfect?

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 17, 2006
  15. Kahan

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth "A. Sinan Unur" <>:
    > wrote in
    > > wrote:
    > >> What newsreader are you using? I'd like to do some testing...

    > > Would you mind showing me exactly what the header looks like in your
    > > reader?

    > I am using XNews/2006.06.28 on Windows.
    >
    > So far, only this message is shown in a separate thread in
    > comp.lang.perl.misc. However, it is shown in the same thread
    > in comp.lang.perl.modules. Anyway, here are the full headers
    > as shown in XNews per your request:

    [snip]

    In a typical threaded message, I-R-T is the *last* msgid in References,
    so perhaps XNews is (wrongly) assuming the threading is erroneous when
    this is not the case. FWIW, trn threads it correctly in clpmisc (I don't
    read clpmodules).

    [snip]
    > "Kahan" <> wrote:
    > >> [ snip multiposted message ]

    > This message has been multiposted as indicated by these message IDs:

    Adding the groups would be helpful here, perhaps something like

    This message has been posted several times as separate articles;
    in comp.lang.perl.misc
    as <.....>,
    and in comp.lang.perl.modules
    as <.....>.

    (Getting the punctuation right would be a Good Thing.)

    > Multiposting is

    Perhaps

    This practice, known as 'multiposting', is

    > generally considered impolite in usenet.

    'Usenet', shirly?

    > For an
    > explanation, please see:
    >
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html
    >
    > --
    > msg_hash: 88 - 6d4a723abc2990d7a0306c3a684f8a6b

    This message is a big improvement on the original; to the extent that
    I'm reconsidering my opinion of the bot :). The removal of 'please burn
    this thread' and the general appearance of politely providing
    information rather than issuing edicts made the most of the difference.

    Ben

    --
    "Faith has you at a disadvantage, Buffy."
    "'Cause I'm not crazy, or 'cause I don't kill people?"

    Ben Morrow, Aug 17, 2006
  16. Kahan

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Ben Morrow schreef:

    > In a typical threaded message, I-R-T is the *last* msgid in
    > References, so perhaps XNews is (wrongly) assuming the threading is
    > erroneous when this is not the case. FWIW, trn threads it correctly
    > in clpmisc (I don't read clpmodules).

    Leaving out the I-R-T might work better.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Aug 17, 2006