Help Please! Can't edit my datagrids/get the right content

sJeev via DotNetMonster.com

Please help, I am very new to asp.net and data grids have got me stuck for a loooong time.

I can either have the right content in my datagrids or make them editable.

In the first case, I make the connection, the adapter, the dataset all in the aspx.cs file. I also make the oledb command there, and it works fine...until I try to edit it. The datagrid I make uses the tool under webforms in the aspx file. I think its because everything else is made in the cs file, that it doesn't recognize that its there while editing, even though I did link the OnEditCommand and the OnCancelCommand. It displays the information fine before disappearing (I click edit).

When I tried to make an adapter using the tools ASP.net gives us in the tool box, it did edit. In there I filled the dataset with the content of the data adapter in the page load event. But again there was a catch. There I could not set the data the adapter passed to the dataset to a query that reads the txtboxes to execute. I get an error message saying that "data missing" Which I guess I understand but don't know what to do about it.

Well I guess my question now is Is there a way to configure the data that the adapter fills the dataset with after creating it and without using the option under properties on webForm1.aspx, or is there another way to do this so that I get to pass a where-clause, read from the textbox to complete the query and still get a editable datagrid?

I thank you in advance for any of your help.