Help, Please: Server Error in '/' Application.

Guest

error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. "

This is happening when I ry to process an aspx in my default directory
(inetpub\wwwroot).

Well, I'm viewing it on the local machine so why is it saying that?

I've tried editing the web.config file to no effect - it doesn't make any
difference.

I've tried editing the application name and that does have an effect (it
changes the error page, but not the basic message).

I've tried using an asp file istead, but still no joy.

I've tried using an html file and it works. So IIS does have permission to
read files in the root directory, but it cant execute asp or aspx.

Anyone have any ideas, please?

JIMCO Software

JebBushell said:
current custom error settings for this application prevent the
details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for
security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running
on the local server machine. "

This is happening when I ry to process an aspx in my default directory
(inetpub\wwwroot).

Well, I'm viewing it on the local machine so why is it saying that?

I've tried editing the web.config file to no effect - it doesn't make
any difference.

I've tried editing the application name and that does have an effect
(it changes the error page, but not the basic message).

I've tried using an asp file istead, but still no joy.

I've tried using an html file and it works. So IIS does have
permission to read files in the root directory, but it cant execute
asp or aspx.

Anyone have any ideas, please?

What OS? If on non-Win2003, give the process account (ASPNET by default)
the default permissions on wwwroot. If on Win2003, give the IIS_WPG group
the same ACLs on wwwroot.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO Software

FrontPage add-ins for FrontPage 2000 - 2003

Guest

i set the "Show friendly HTTP Messages" to off in IE Internet Options but it
made no difference. I get a 500 status when I look at it over a GPRS
connection (mobile phone).

Guest

The OS is XP and I am using simple sharing so I do not know how to grant
access rights. Is it possible to manage rights without tossing simple
sharing? I'm somewhat reluctant to put my whole network at risk. It took
weeks to set up.

John Morales

Hello JebBushell" jebbushell AT yahoo DOT com,
How are you accessing the machine, if you are accessing from a local browser
then the error doesnt make sense?
have you tried
http://127.0.0.1/
?

JIMCO Software

JebBushell said:
The OS is XP and I am using simple sharing so I do not know how to
grant access rights. Is it possible to manage rights without
tossing simple sharing? I'm somewhat reluctant to put my whole
network at risk. It took weeks to set up.

I'm going to have to bow out. I have no idea how Simple Sharing would
affect this. I have never dealt with anyone who was using it. Sorry.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO Software
http://www.jimcosoftware.com

FrontPage add-ins for FrontPage 2000 - 2003

Guest

Thanks, yes I'd tried that as well, not that I understand its significance.
However, I have now fixed the problem, I think, by reinstalling IIS. Phew!
What a sweat.

Thanks to you and Jimco and Curt_C for helping.

Guest

How do you reinstall IIS? I"m having a page won't display issue that no-one
seems to understand or know how to fix. Maybe reinstalling IIS will help me,
but I wouldn't have a clue how to.

Thanks,
Sarah