HELP PLS! Configuring and deploying Crystal.NET reports

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SWu, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. SWu

    SWu Guest

    Hi all

    Could someone please tell me how to configure and deploy my Crystal reports?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to be able to deploy my
    reports/web pages to another domain, web server, database and have the
    report connect via integrated security.

    1. I have created a stored proc in my SQL Server db, created a report in my
    ASP.NET project, created a reports.aspx and placed a CrystalReportViewer on
    the page. This is the "pull" type of report that I've read about in the
    documentation. All this works fine on my development machine. I can
    navigate to the page and view the report. I am using Visual Studio.NET 2003
    and the framework is 1.1.

    2. I copied the reports.aspx and my website's DLL to the production server
    which is on another machine with its own database and part of another
    domain. When that didn't work, I saw a newsgroup item somewhere that said
    Crystal comes with Visual Studio, not the framework so I stuck the Visual
    Studio.NET 2003 installation CDs into the production machine and installed
    just the Crystal parts of it.

    3. With all my previous pages, this was not a problem because I could put
    the connection string into the Web.config. Can I do this easily for reports
    or do I have to turn the reports to "push" type (i.e. build up the dataset
    etc and then pass it to the report when you want it displayed) first?

    4. Assuming I couldn't use the web.config approach to connection, I then
    tried to "Set Location" in the "Field Explorer". Unfortunately, when I
    tried to replace the existing connection location with the one I want,
    crystal/vs.net immediately verified the connection. I had selected
    "integrated security" so that stuffed me up. I then thought I'd try with a
    username and password; I was then able to complete the "Set Location"
    operation and rebuild my website.

    Could someone please give me some pointers? Thank you very much.

    Stephen

    SWu, Nov 5, 2003