Help positioning text and shockwave beside <!--Include File....-->

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by RWC, May 8, 2005.

  1. RWC

    RWC Guest

    Hey Folks!

    I'm having trouble with an asp page. First off, I'm new to the html / asp
    world, but not to software development. I'd like to minimize or "normalize"
    the site, so I'm trying to use one menu page and include it into any page
    that needs the menu. The problem is, I include the header.asp page, include
    the menu.asp page, but when I write the body of the page, it sticks the text
    underneath the side menu. I'd like the text to begin under the header
    (logo) but beside the menu on the left side of the page.

    The page that I'm working on is at http://www.hemmingway.com/default.asp

    Any indication of what I should look at or what I might want to try
    searching on would be a great help, because right now, I'm not finding
    anything.

    Thanks in advance!

    Rick

    RWC, May 8, 2005

  2. RWC

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "RWC"
    <> writing in

    > Hey Folks!
    >
    > I'm having trouble with an asp page. First off, I'm new to the html /
    > asp world, but not to software development. I'd like to minimize or
    > "normalize" the site, so I'm trying to use one menu page and include it
    > into any page that needs the menu. The problem is, I include the
    > header.asp page, include the menu.asp page, but when I write the body
    > of the page, it sticks the text underneath the side menu. I'd like the
    > text to begin under the header (logo) but beside the menu on the left
    > side of the page.
    >
    > The page that I'm working on is at
    > http://www.hemmingway.com/default.asp
    >
    > Any indication of what I should look at or what I might want to try
    > searching on would be a great help, because right now, I'm not finding
    > anything.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Rick

    This is a client side issue, but just for kicks, I'll give you some
    pointers.

    1. Validate and you will see quite a lot of errors.
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.hemmingway.com%
    2Fdefault.asp&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=HTML+4.01
    +Transitional&ss=1>.

    2. Use a DOC type. STRICT 4.01 should be used for new documents. Strict
    doctype will put the browser in standards mode. With no Doctype, the
    browser goes into quirks mode, so may act very differently across various
    browsers.

    3. You are using includes in the wrong way. There is no need to include
    the HTML or BODY elements, they are throwing errors as only one HTML and
    BODY element are needed for each page. Include only the markup that is
    necessary. (OK, this part is relavent)

    4. Stop abusing tables. Tables are for tabular data, not positioning of
    elements. You would do better using CSS, a two column layout, Google for
    many examplesm or do something like:
    #head {width:100%; height:102px}
    #menu {width:100%; float:left}
    #menu ul {list-style-type:none}
    #content {margin-left:110px; }
    <ul>
    </ul>
    Your content

    If you are bound and determined to use tables, then you need to do:

    5. Stop using deprecated markup, eg. FONT.

    6. Make sure to include the alt attribute for all images. If the image is
    for decoration only, then the alt attribute should be empty, eg. alt="".

    7. Image maps are bad for accessibility. Make sure you include alternative
    content for users without images.

    8. The font size you are using may be too small for some users. Best to
    not use font size at all, just 80% for copyright statements.

    9. The buttons on the side can easily be reproduced with CSS, even the
    hover effect without javascript. Alistapart has some great examples of
    hover buttons, see <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/>, the
    blue list toward the bottom is similar to what you want.

    HTH
    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info