HELP! pulling information into a website

afadich

Hi,

Please be nice :) I don't exactly know how to explain this or if I am
using the correct terminology.

Some background:

I am working on a signup page for my website. This page has a
javascript src which is a query to a database which returns the results
of the query as a java script array That array then populates all my
drop down menu's(with a function set to be ran upon the <body> being
loaded) so I can update my pricing and services directly from the
database instead of altering my html.

The above is not part of my problem but I am mentioning it because that
query is the EXACT same as the query I need help with but instead of
being static (so I can hardcode it on the website) this query changes
dependent on an address field.

I have a function being called whenever the address field changes, that
function takes the address input and puts it into a URL Query. If I
take that URL and then manually go to the address bar and put in in, it
works. IE I can create the dynamic Query fine I just don't know how to
use it.

MY PROBLEM:

I don't know how to get that java script array into my page so I can
utilize it in functions and build a popup window out of it. If I
create a get form and do document.formname.action = MyURL and then
press the submit button instead of getting that javascript array it
just outputs it on the browser as text.

If further explination is required just let me know.

VK

Hi,

Please be nice :) I don't exactly know how to explain this or if I am
using the correct terminology.

Fine by me but be aware of OTHERS ;-)
MY PROBLEM:

I don't know how to get that java script array into my page so I can
utilize it in functions and build a popup window out of it. If I
create a get form and do document.formname.action = MyURL and then
press the submit button instead of getting that javascript array it
just outputs it on the browser as text.

If further explination is required just let me know.

Briefly I want to:
1) get data from your server
2) these data should be presented as a JavaScript array
3) getting this data should not reload the current page
4) immediately upon the data is ready you want to repopulate the form
on the current page

Is it correct?

If it is then two blocks will do the job for you:

AJAX will let you to retrieve new data from the server while staying on
the same page.
<http://www.ajaxtoolbox.com>

JSON will let you to stransmit JavaScript objects (including arrays)
back and forth to the server.
<http://www.json.org>

More details could be found in this thread:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp...4e5ee1e/8836d58fbc4405f4#doc_8836d58fbc4405f4>