[help really needed] why does javascript login not reappear with iframe ?

jlambrecht

Hello people,

On a pure html page i have an iframe wich is used to show a login
(javascript dialog) to an intranet. Whenever the link is clicked once it
is not possible to make it reappear when for example having entered a
wrong username or password.

What is missing ?

best regards,

joris

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,
Hello people,

On a pure html page i have an iframe wich is used to show a login
(javascript dialog) to an intranet. Whenever the link is clicked once it
is not possible to make it reappear when for example having entered a
wrong username or password.

What is missing ?

From the sounds of it, what you should have is on the page nothing, but
it then creates a mini-window in JS. Enter the password, test the reply
and if it's not right, clear the input boxes and try again. When it's
right, clear the mini-window.

What you have is a transient window which only exists until you click on
something. You either have to regenerate the transient or do something
sensible - like having the html page have the input boxes, use CGI to
test the entry and go from there.

TTFN

Paul

jlambrecht

Op Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:57:15 +0000, schreef Paul F. Johnson:
Hi,

From the sounds of it, what you should have is on the page nothing, but
it then creates a mini-window in JS. Enter the password, test the reply
and if it's not right, clear the input boxes and try again. When it's
right, clear the mini-window.

well, no. it's not my server but i can tell it's the ident-server being
used by apache to handle authentication. Like i stated, though not that
clearly, the authentication-box is shown once then no more. Browser
restart is required.
What you have is a transient window which only exists until you click on
something. You either have to regenerate the transient or do something
sensible - like having the html page have the input boxes, use CGI to
test the entry and go from there.

TTFN

Paul

Ehm, regenerate transient ? My english is not perfect ...

Abous input boxes and cgi, i'm not supposed be handle that stuff in this
situation. what i thought was maybe to put an onclick javascript ont the
intranet link wich would refresh the link, but then again there would be
some 'real' coding required to get the script from 'stopping' if the
authencation did succeed.

Paul F. Johnson

jlambrecht said:
Op Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:57:15 +0000, schreef Paul F. Johnson:
Ehm, regenerate transient ? My english is not perfect ...

By that I mean that once something is clicked, the transient is cleared.
Either the server has to push back out a new page or a refresh is
required. This is why I suggested having the form actually in the page
as only the boxes are cleared and life becomes simple.
Abous input boxes and cgi, i'm not supposed be handle that stuff in this
situation. what i thought was maybe to put an onclick javascript ont the
intranet link wich would refresh the link, but then again there would be
some 'real' coding required to get the script from 'stopping' if the
authencation did succeed.

Yep. I know that one quite well, however it's not that bad. In the JS to
check (or the CGI) you just need to check if the entry is NULL (i.e.
empty). If it is, return and say "nah, you've missed something out".

TTFN

Paul