Help regarding Perl modules in .pl and .in extension.

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David Joseph Bonnici, May 5, 2005.

  1. Hi I am using ActivePerl (Build 811) on Windows. I am using Komodo as an
    editor. I am a newbie.

    I am having problems when referencing to modules that have the extension .pl
    or .in.
    I am using downloaded projects from sourceforge to test some features.

    I usually found myself in the scenario, and I get stuck.

    in a test123.pl file I find

    use David;

    When I go to search for the modules, (in order to copy these files to
    c:\perl\lib) I find

    David.pm.pl and David.pm.in.

    If I copy them to the lib folder, the interpreter still tells me that he
    cannot find the module

    If I try to remame anyone of them, I get cannot compile object.

    Any help is appreciated.

    David
    David Joseph Bonnici, May 5, 2005

  2. David Joseph Bonnici

    Atlantis Guest

    I'm not familiar with Komodo, but I can say that if you've got a perl
    statement...

    use David;

    .... then perl will be looking for a file called David.pm, so I would guess
    that you need to rename either the .pl or .in file as "David.pm".

    Hope this helps.
    Atlantis, May 5, 2005

  3. However it seems to work fine on unix. I think that the pl is somewhat piped
    trough .in and this makes the module. There must be a way to make the
    ineterpreter aware of this.

    If I run the same code trough command line, I get the problems.

    Thanks Noel

    David

    David Joseph Bonnici, May 5, 2005
  4. David Joseph Bonnici

    Atlantis Guest

    Could be worth trying...

    use lib("path-to-files");
    use David;

    Atlantis, May 5, 2005
  5. David Joseph Bonnici

    J. Gleixner Guest

    David Joseph Bonnici wrote:
    > Hi I am using ActivePerl (Build 811) on Windows. I am using Komodo as an
    > editor. I am a newbie.
    >
    > I am having problems when referencing to modules that have the extension .pl
    > or .in.
    > I am using downloaded projects from sourceforge to test some features.
    >
    > I usually found myself in the scenario, and I get stuck.
    >
    > in a test123.pl file I find

    > use David;
    >
    > When I go to search for the modules, (in order to copy these files to
    > c:\perl\lib) I find

    This isn't how you install modules.

    > David.pm.pl and David.pm.in.
    >
    > If I copy them to the lib folder, the interpreter still tells me that he
    > cannot find the module
    >
    > If I try to remame anyone of them, I get cannot compile object.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > David

    Maybe, if you provided a real example, something from sourceforge, it
    might help.
    J. Gleixner, May 5, 2005
  6. David Joseph Bonnici

    Anno Siegel Guest

    David Joseph Bonnici <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Hi I am using ActivePerl (Build 811) on Windows. I am using Komodo as an
    > editor. I am a newbie.
    >
    > I am having problems when referencing to modules that have the extension .pl
    > or .in.
    > I am using downloaded projects from sourceforge to test some features.
    >
    > I usually found myself in the scenario, and I get stuck.
    >
    > in a test123.pl file I find

    > use David;
    >
    > When I go to search for the modules, (in order to copy these files to
    > c:\perl\lib) I find
    >
    > David.pm.pl and David.pm.in.
    >
    > If I copy them to the lib folder, the interpreter still tells me that he
    > cannot find the module
    >
    > If I try to remame anyone of them, I get cannot compile object.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    You haven't installed the module properly. David.pm.pl and David.pm.in
    (why didn't you give a real example?) are a Perl script and a template
    file that together create David.pm. This happens during what is called
    the build process. I don't know the particulars of the build process
    under windows, but it would include thinks like

    perl Makefile.PL
    nmake

    etc.

    If the module you want doesn't come pre-packaged for windows, it may
    be hard to install.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, May 5, 2005
  7. Thanks very much for the info. At least you put me on the right track.
    Thanks.

    David Joseph Bonnici, May 6, 2005
  8. David Joseph Bonnici

    Sisyphus Guest

    > Thanks very much for the info. At least you put me on the right track.

    You might also try the komodo-discuss mailing list hosted by ActiveState.
    See:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/

    Cheers,
    Rob