HELP: Relatively positioning a block element to an inline element in Mozilla.

Woolly Mittens

Please have a look at this in Internet Explorer or Opera and Mozilla.

http://www.woollymittens.nl/test.htm

This page has recursive unordered-lists parented to inline list elements.
In Mozilla the links in the two bottom boxes are unclickable, the other
browsers allow this.

Can any of you see or make a change to work around this (without destroying
the layout)?

I've been puzzling on this for the past 2 days and I can't seem to crack it.

Thanks,
Woolly

rf

Woolly Mittens said:
Please have a look at this in Internet Explorer or Opera and Mozilla.

http://www.woollymittens.nl/test.htm

This page has recursive unordered-lists parented to inline list elements.
In Mozilla the links in the two bottom boxes are unclickable, the other
browsers allow this.

You have worse problems than this. My mozilla (1.4) doesn't even display
half of the left hand bottom box.
Can any of you see or make a change to work around this (without destroying
the layout)?

Take it over to the validator and correct the three errors.

Other than that no. Rethink your layout. You are confusing the browsers.

Cheers
Richard.

Kae Verens

Woolly said:
Please have a look at this in Internet Explorer or Opera and Mozilla.

http://www.woollymittens.nl/test.htm

This page has recursive unordered-lists parented to inline list elements.
In Mozilla the links in the two bottom boxes are unclickable, the other
browsers allow this.

Can any of you see or make a change to work around this (without destroying
the layout)?

I've been puzzling on this for the past 2 days and I can't seem to crack it.

Thanks,
Woolly

I don't have IE on this computer, so can't view your example, but here
is probably what you're looking for:
http://kverens.contactjuggling.org/programming/webdesign/collapsemenu3.php

Kae

Kae Verens

Woolly said:
Heh... his menu "script" can be condensed into a one-liner :)

onclick="this.firstChild.style.display=(this.firstChild.style.display=='none
') ? 'block' : 'none' ;"

that's only part of the script. most of the script is about placing the
little [+]s next to the ULs.

the script is a little more complex than you seem to think.

for an example, make a HTML page, and place the following in it:
<ul>
<li>test</li>
<li>test
<ul>
<li>test 2</li>
<li>test 2
<ul>
<li>test 3</li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>

now, in order to make each of these expand/contract, you would
ordinarily have to add in a lot of code (your "one-line" script would
require quite a bit of hard-coded preparation).

instead, simply place this in the <head> of the page, and reload the page:
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://kverens.contactjuggling.org/j/cm.js"></script>

If you can produce this effect in one line of code, without adding all
sorts of extra code to the <ul> block above, I'll eat my hat[0]

Kae
0: I don't own a hat, making this quite easy for me.

Kae Verens

Woolly said:
If you can produce this effect in one line of code, without adding all
sorts of extra code to the <ul> block above, I'll eat my hat[0]

Don't tempt me... =D

http://www.woollymittens.nl/content/weblab/list_menu/ also adds
foldout-menus and mouse-overs =^.^= (given that mine's not a one-liner
either :)

oh alright - hat eaten, pissing contest over. your script is impressive,
and I will be reading it at work today in order to get ideas from it.

Although - why not add all the images and classes using your script?
wouldn't that save some downloading on the poor client's side?

Kae

Woolly Mittens

Kae Verens said:
Although - why not add all the images and classes using your script?
wouldn't that save some downloading on the poor client's side?

Kae

It would and it does, but when users turn off their caching in MSIE they
manage to flood our (microsoft IIS 5.0) webserver with requests for the
images over and over again. That is, until our webser stops serving :p

I had hoped images defined in the stylesheet would remain cached, but MSIE
doesn't like it that way *sniff*