    I've been puzzling on this for the past 2 days and I can't seem to crack it.

    Thanks,
    Woolly
    Woolly Mittens, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Woolly Mittens

    rf Guest

    Re: Relatively positioning a block element to an inline element in Mozilla.

    "Woolly Mittens" <> wrote in message
    > Please have a look at this in Internet Explorer or Opera and Mozilla.
    >
    > http://www.woollymittens.nl/test.htm
    >
    > This page has recursive unordered-lists parented to inline list elements.
    > In Mozilla the links in the two bottom boxes are unclickable, the other
    > browsers allow this.

    You have worse problems than this. My mozilla (1.4) doesn't even display
    half of the left hand bottom box.

    > Can any of you see or make a change to work around this (without

    destroying
    > the layout)?

    Take it over to the validator and correct the three errors.

    Other than that no. Rethink your layout. You are confusing the browsers.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Woolly Mittens

    Kae Verens Guest

    Re: HELP: Relatively positioning a block element to an inline elementin Mozilla.

    Woolly Mittens wrote:
    > Please have a look at this in Internet Explorer or Opera and Mozilla.
    >
    > http://www.woollymittens.nl/test.htm
    >
    > This page has recursive unordered-lists parented to inline list elements.
    > In Mozilla the links in the two bottom boxes are unclickable, the other
    > browsers allow this.
    >
    > Can any of you see or make a change to work around this (without destroying
    > the layout)?
    >
    > I've been puzzling on this for the past 2 days and I can't seem to crack it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Woolly

    I don't have IE on this computer, so can't view your example, but here
    is probably what you're looking for:
    http://kverens.contactjuggling.org/programming/webdesign/collapsemenu3.php

    Kae
    Kae Verens, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Woolly Mittens, Sep 18, 2003
  5. "Kae Verens" <> wrote in message
    > I don't have IE on this computer, so can't view your example, but here
    > is probably what you're looking for:
    > http://kverens.contactjuggling.org/programming/webdesign/collapsemenu3.php
    >
    > Kae

    Heh... his menu "script" can be condensed into a one-liner :)

    onclick="this.firstChild.style.display=(this.firstChild.style.display=='none
    ') ? 'block' : 'none' ;"
    Woolly Mittens, Sep 18, 2003
  6. Woolly Mittens

    Woolly Mittens wrote:
    > "Kae Verens" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I don't have IE on this computer, so can't view your example, but here
    >>is probably what you're looking for:
    >>http://kverens.contactjuggling.org/programming/webdesign/collapsemenu3.php
    >>
    >>Kae
    >>

    > Heh... his menu "script" can be condensed into a one-liner :)
    >
    > onclick="this.firstChild.style.display=(this.firstChild.style.display=='none
    > ') ? 'block' : 'none' ;"

    that's only part of the script. most of the script is about placing the
    little [+]s next to the ULs.

    the script is a little more complex than you seem to think.

    for an example, make a HTML page, and place the following in it:
    <ul>
    <li>test</li>
    <li>test
    <ul>
    <li>test 2</li>
    <li>test 2
    <ul>
    <li>test 3</li>
    </ul>
    </li>
    </ul>
    </li>
    </ul>

    now, in order to make each of these expand/contract, you would
    ordinarily have to add in a lot of code (your "one-line" script would
    require quite a bit of hard-coded preparation).

    instead, simply place this in the <head> of the page, and reload the page:
    <script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://kverens.contactjuggling.org/j/cm.js"></script>

    If you can produce this effect in one line of code, without adding all
    sorts of extra code to the <ul> block above, I'll eat my hat[0]

    Kae
    0: I don't own a hat, making this quite easy for me.
    Kae Verens, Sep 18, 2003
  7. "Kae Verens" <> wrote in message
    > If you can produce this effect in one line of code, without adding all
    > sorts of extra code to the <ul> block above, I'll eat my hat[0]

    Don't tempt me... =D

    http://www.woollymittens.nl/content/weblab/list_menu/ also adds
    foldout-menus and mouse-overs =^.^= (given that mine's not a one-liner
    either :)
    Woolly Mittens, Sep 19, 2003
  8. Woolly Mittens

    Woolly Mittens wrote:
    > "Kae Verens" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>If you can produce this effect in one line of code, without adding all
    >>sorts of extra code to the <ul> block above, I'll eat my hat[0]

    > Don't tempt me... =D
    >
    > http://www.woollymittens.nl/content/weblab/list_menu/ also adds
    > foldout-menus and mouse-overs =^.^= (given that mine's not a one-liner
    > either :)

    oh alright - hat eaten, pissing contest over. your script is impressive,
    and I will be reading it at work today in order to get ideas from it.

    Although - why not add all the images and classes using your script?
    wouldn't that save some downloading on the poor client's side?

    Kae
    Kae Verens, Sep 19, 2003
  9. "Kae Verens" <> wrote in message
    > Although - why not add all the images and classes using your script?
    > wouldn't that save some downloading on the poor client's side?
    >
    > Kae

    It would and it does, but when users turn off their caching in MSIE they
    manage to flood our (microsoft IIS 5.0) webserver with requests for the
    images over and over again. That is, until our webser stops serving :p

    I had hoped images defined in the stylesheet would remain cached, but MSIE
    doesn't like it that way *sniff*
    Woolly Mittens, Sep 22, 2003