Help req: IDL to Python, numarray-Numeric

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ray Schumacher, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm trying to port Hongjie Xie's IDL/ENVI Implementation of the FFT Based
    Algorithm for Automatic Image Registration
    ftp://ftp.iamg.org/VOL29/v29-08-10.zip
    http://www.nmt.edu/~hjxie/xie-paper.pdf
    http://www.iamg.org/CGEditor/cg2003.htm
    to Python/numarray/Numeric and running into some subtle problems.

    I don't have IDL, so I could only read the PDF docs.

    For instance, the IDL ROT() requires some additional steps to emulate, and
    the MAX(array, position) as well.
    And, I'm not at all familiar with the correspondence of the FFT
    libraries... even the simple shift-only routine
    http://rjs.org/astro/1004x/Python/register/shift_idl.py
    produces different (incorrect) x shift values than the IDL.

    My current code
    http://rjs.org/astro/1004x/Python/register/
    conforms to Xie's flow as much as possible for now, but should and will be
    re-factored when functional. His LogPolar function, to convert rectangular
    coordinate arrays to polar, is particularly slow.

    If anyone has some insight as to possible, critical differences, please let
    me know!

    Thank you,
    Ray Schumacher
    user:ray at the domain rjs daaat oh-arr-gee

    Ray Schumacher, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Ray Schumacher

    Robert Kern Guest

    Ray Schumacher wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm trying to port Hongjie Xie's IDL/ENVI Implementation of the FFT Based
    > Algorithm for Automatic Image Registration
    > ftp://ftp.iamg.org/VOL29/v29-08-10.zip
    > http://www.nmt.edu/~hjxie/xie-paper.pdf
    > http://www.iamg.org/CGEditor/cg2003.htm
    > to Python/numarray/Numeric and running into some subtle problems.
    >
    > I don't have IDL, so I could only read the PDF docs.

    I'll try to find some time to look at what you have, but in the
    meantime, did you know that you can download evaluation copies of IDL
    and ENVI?

    http://www.rsinc.com/download/chooseplatform.asp?urlProductCode=20

    You're limited to seven minute sessions, but it ought to be good enough
    to try pieces of code out.

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter

    Robert Kern, Aug 28, 2004

  3. Ray Schumacher

    RJS Guest

    Hi Robert,

    Robert Kern <> wrote in news:cgog0e$a66$:

    > I'll try to find some time to look at what you have, but in the
    > meantime, did you know that you can download evaluation copies of IDL
    > and ENVI?
    >
    > http://www.rsinc.com/download/chooseplatform.asp?urlProductCode=20
    >
    > You're limited to seven minute sessions, but it ought to be good
    > enough to try pieces of code out.

    Thanks!
    No I didn't know there was a trial, I'll check it out again. The paper's
    author isn't to interested in Python, but I'm trying to get the STSI
    interested as a numarray add-on, as almost the entire process should be
    do-able with numarray or Numeric.
    ..
    I'm in La Jolla also, if you're interested in this yourself. I ride
    through Scripps almost daily.

    Ray
    user:ray at the domain rjs daaat oh-arr-gee

    RJS, Aug 28, 2004