    Respectfully with full recognition that a lot of you are smarter than
    me,
    Matt K Jensen
    Matthew K Jensen, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Matthew K Jensen

    Kylotan Guest

    (Matthew K Jensen) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am a young programmer with his big break on the line. For some
    > reason, small apps that I've written and compiled on an XP machine
    > won't work on anything but XP machines.

    A better definition of what is going wrong than "won't work" is
    needed. Do the apps not run at all? Do they crash? Can you view the
    standard output/error streams to see if something is being written
    there?

    Bear in mind that py2exe doesn't produce compiled executables like
    those a C++ compiler might. It's more of an executable archive and all
    the files are right there. You can even open it up in an archiving
    program to check that all the relevant dlls and so on are added.
    Running a dependency-checker tool on some of those might reveal that
    you're relying on XP-only features, although that's usually evident
    from the Python code.

    --
    Ben Sizer
    Kylotan, Aug 29, 2004

  3. (Kylotan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Matthew K Jensen) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > I am a young programmer with his big break on the line. For some
    > > reason, small apps that I've written and compiled on an XP machine
    > > won't work on anything but XP machines.

    > A better definition of what is going wrong than "won't work" is
    > needed. Do the apps not run at all? Do they crash? Can you view the
    > standard output/error streams to see if something is being written
    > there?
    >
    > Bear in mind that py2exe doesn't produce compiled executables like
    > those a C++ compiler might. It's more of an executable archive and all
    > the files are right there. You can even open it up in an archiving
    > program to check that all the relevant dlls and so on are added.
    > Running a dependency-checker tool on some of those might reveal that
    > you're relying on XP-only features, although that's usually evident
    > from the Python code.

    I guess I should describe the problem more. When I go to execute,
    nothing visibly happens. And no, I am not using XP-only features. Is
    this just a case that I should be making exe's with a previous OS and
    having that run on things that came after the said OS?
    Matthew K Jensen, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Matthew K Jensen

    JanC Guest

    Matthew K Jensen schreef:

    > I guess I should describe the problem more. When I go to execute,
    > nothing visibly happens.

    Did you try running them from a console (cmd.exe or command.com)?

    --
    JanC

    JanC, Sep 2, 2004
  5. JanC <> wrote in message news:<Xns9559657CD744JanC@213.118.38.197>...
    > Matthew K Jensen schreef:
    >
    > > I guess I should describe the problem more. When I go to execute,
    > > nothing visibly happens.

    > Did you try running them from a console (cmd.exe or command.com)?

    Yes, same problem.
    Matthew K Jensen, Sep 3, 2004
  6. (Matthew K Jensen) wrote in message news:<>...
    > JanC <> wrote in message news:<Xns9559657CD744JanC@213.118.38.197>...
    > > Matthew K Jensen schreef:
    > >
    > > > I guess I should describe the problem more. When I go to execute,
    > > > nothing visibly happens.

    > > Did you try running them from a console (cmd.exe or command.com)?

    > Yes, same problem.

    Is there any reason for these executables to be acting this way?
    Matthew K Jensen, Sep 5, 2004
  7. >> > > I guess I should describe the problem more. When I go to execute,

    >> > Did you try running them from a console (cmd.exe or command.com)?

    >> Yes, same problem.

    > Is there any reason for these executables to be acting this way?

    I don't know if the problem lies in the Python code or somewhere else, but
    it would be worth checking for DLL (dynamic link library) dependencies. Go
    to www.dependencywalker.com and download Dependency Walker. Run it and then
    drag and drop your .exe file onto it. It may show you a missing dependency
    right away (except if there's one for MPR.DLL you can ignore that).

    More likely, it won't show any problems yet. Press F7 to run your program
    under Dependency Walker. A big dialog full of options will come up, but the
    default settings are fine. Click OK and it will run your program and show
    you the additional DLL dependencies that come up as your program runs.

    This may turn up something or it may not, but it's a good quick test. Read
    the FAQ on the Dependency Walker page and it will give you some more
    information about this program.

    -Mike
    Michael Geary, Sep 5, 2004