Help req: py2exe's compiled executables only working with XP

Matthew K Jensen

I am a young programmer with his big break on the line. For some
reason, small apps that I've written and compiled on an XP machine
won't work on anything but XP machines. I can't find any clue as to
what's going on. Is the problem py2exe or something in my own scripts?
I am at the end of my rope and I'm hoping someone out there can give
me a pointer of two.

Respectfully with full recognition that a lot of you are smarter than
me,
Matt K Jensen

Kylotan

I am a young programmer with his big break on the line. For some
reason, small apps that I've written and compiled on an XP machine
won't work on anything but XP machines.

A better definition of what is going wrong than "won't work" is
needed. Do the apps not run at all? Do they crash? Can you view the
standard output/error streams to see if something is being written
there?

Bear in mind that py2exe doesn't produce compiled executables like
those a C++ compiler might. It's more of an executable archive and all
the files are right there. You can even open it up in an archiving
program to check that all the relevant dlls and so on are added.
Running a dependency-checker tool on some of those might reveal that
you're relying on XP-only features, although that's usually evident
from the Python code.

Matthew K Jensen

A better definition of what is going wrong than "won't work" is
needed. Do the apps not run at all? Do they crash? Can you view the
standard output/error streams to see if something is being written
there?

Bear in mind that py2exe doesn't produce compiled executables like
those a C++ compiler might. It's more of an executable archive and all
the files are right there. You can even open it up in an archiving
program to check that all the relevant dlls and so on are added.
Running a dependency-checker tool on some of those might reveal that
you're relying on XP-only features, although that's usually evident
from the Python code.

I guess I should describe the problem more. When I go to execute,
nothing visibly happens. And no, I am not using XP-only features. Is
this just a case that I should be making exe's with a previous OS and
having that run on things that came after the said OS?

JanC

Matthew K Jensen schreef:
I guess I should describe the problem more. When I go to execute,
nothing visibly happens.

Did you try running them from a console (cmd.exe or command.com)?

Michael Geary

I guess I should describe the problem more. When I go to execute,
Is there any reason for these executables to be acting this way?

I don't know if the problem lies in the Python code or somewhere else, but
it would be worth checking for DLL (dynamic link library) dependencies. Go
to www.dependencywalker.com and download Dependency Walker. Run it and then
drag and drop your .exe file onto it. It may show you a missing dependency
right away (except if there's one for MPR.DLL you can ignore that).

More likely, it won't show any problems yet. Press F7 to run your program
under Dependency Walker. A big dialog full of options will come up, but the
default settings are fine. Click OK and it will run your program and show
you the additional DLL dependencies that come up as your program runs.

This may turn up something or it may not, but it's a good quick test. Read
the FAQ on the Dependency Walker page and it will give you some more
information about this program.

-Mike