Help: RTF Control for Web Page

Stewart

Hi All,

Hoping someone has done something like this in the past. I'm trying
to work out the best way to add an RTF control to my web page and save
it's contents as html back to a database.

Currently I have a page with a textbox. The user enters plain text
and hits save. The text is stored to the database. Simple as.
However I'm looking to enhance this so that the user has U, B, I and
hyperlink features similar to the way you create an email in yahoo
mail or hotmail. It can be assumed all users are using the windows
platform so ActiveX is fine. The main problems I'm having are:

1) How to collect the data from the (say ActiveX) component when the
user clicks save.

2) I'd prefer not to write this from scratch, though if I do I'm
quite comfortable with VB.Net and VB6 incl. writing ActiveX controls.

Hope to hear about your experiences and advice!

Thanks,

Stewart

Raghavendra T V

Hi Stewart,

I am not sure whether your idea of making an RTF control using ActiveX.
But majority of RTF controls that you see in daily life in web applications
are build using Javascript and IFRAME tags.
You can search in google for some free RTF controls (i guess you can get it
in first shot)
Idea: in a webpage they have a IFRAME and this iframe uses a different page
which is an HTML.
The javascript has inbuilt functions which take care of making the selected
text bold , italics, underline..etc..for the selected text in the HTML page
in
the IFRAME.

For eg: the options like bold,italics, text alignment..etc..etc..that you
see in yahoo or hotmail advanced editors...are all built into the
javascript only thing is you need to call them on click of button say bold
button.

You can try this
http://www.webwizguide.info/asp/sample_scripts/RTE_application.asp

Hope this helps you.

Thanks
Raghavendra

Michael Mattias

Stewart said:
Hi All,

Hoping someone has done something like this in the past. I'm trying
to work out the best way to add an RTF control to my web page and save
it's contents as html back to a database.

Hmm, maybe you should look for an HTML control instead of an RTF control?

MCM

Stewart

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your advice. I've decide to go with the asp.net control
offered by freetextbox.com. It plugs straight into your .net project
and is so easy to customise. I particularly like how you can select
which attributes (eg B, U, I, Font Size, Hyperlink etc) you want to
allow users to change.

Can't rate it highly enough. It's free but will probably buy source
to support them in this case.

Once again,

Thanks

Stewart