    paper about how to implement SAS with FPGAs.I will be very
    grateful.Thanks very much.

    , Dec 16, 2007

  2. John_H Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,all.I am doing a project which will implement SAS with FPGAs on
    > Xilinx Virtex 4 ML405 board. But before I am a software designer and
    > never do IC design before ,so this project is very difficult for
    > me.Who could help me and give me some guidances or some datum and
    > paper about how to implement SAS with FPGAs.I will be very
    > grateful.Thanks very much.

    Serial Attached SCSI is NOT a task for someone to design from the ground
    up unless they are *very* seasoned hardware engineers, in my opinion,
    and have time to "waste" at that. If you purchase an SAS core from a
    3rd party vendor, integrating this core to a usable system would be a
    challenge for someone unfamiliar with hardware design, though doable.
    Starting from nothing, this would have to be at least a man year worth
    of work to get to where the drives are starting to talk for someone who
    isn't already confident with FPGAs.

    If you have the SAS cores, you may be able to get integration help from
    the people who developed the cores. At least the learning curve at that
    point would be much simpler for the uninitiated since wiring up cores to
    a top level design is easier than developing the core, but it's still
    not something I'd expect a non-hardware person to be responsible for.

    It's a little like asking me - expert in hardware, knowledge about
    software with the ability to read through most and write some C - to
    develop a database system for those SAS drives. Uhhh....

    - John_H

    John_H, Dec 16, 2007