HELP: Searching File Manager written in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by anton, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. anton

    anton Guest

    Hi,

    I am googeling some hours now ... still without result.

    So I have a question:

    Does somebody know a filemanager:

    - which looks like Norton Commander/7-Zip Filemanager

    - where I can add python scripts which I can execute
    on a selected file

    I already looked at wxpyatol but its not what I search, and its no
    more developped.

    Thanks

    Stephane

    anton, Oct 11, 2005

  2. On 2005-10-11, anton wrote:

    > I am googeling some hours now ... still without result.
    >
    > So I have a question:
    >
    > Does somebody know a filemanager:
    >
    > - which looks like Norton Commander/7-Zip Filemanager

    What does Norton Commander/7-Zip look like?

    > - where I can add python scripts which I can execute
    > on a selected file

    I use gentoo (the file manager, not the Linux distro). It's not
    written in Python, but you can define buttons that will run any
    commands you like with the selected file as arguments.

    <http://www.obsession.se/gentoo/>

    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress
    <http://www.torfree.net/~chris/books/cfaj/ssr.html>

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Oct 11, 2005

  3. anton

    Guest

    , Oct 12, 2005
  4. anton

    anton Guest

    To answer to you both:

    The Norton Commander was a popular file manager for DOS,
    but the idea of the 2 window concept is still used by a lot of
    software.

    On Linux the one I use is Midnight Commander (mc).

    On Windows there are the 7-zip file manager see http://www.7-zip.org/
    (7-zip is also a new compression format which is very good, there
    exist also a linux command line version)

    - Speed Commander is also a Windows filemanager.

    - Atol is based on GTK runs on Linux and Windows
    (http://atol.sourceforge.net/)
    but is not written in python or cannot run commands
    (I also get always error messages at startup that some drives are
    missing, perhaps my cdrom or my zip drive, but this happens with
    Gimp too -> so I believe GTK is the problem)

    But actually I work on Windows, thats why I am searching
    something which works on windows or better on Windows and Linux

    Perhaps some Python+wxWindows Application would be best.

    There exist a port of Atol to python+wxPython on:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxpyatol

    But the project is stopped and abandonware ...

    Thanks a lot for now :) I will have a look on your suggestions.

    Stephane

    anton, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Checked Total Commander?

    Has an sort of open API to plugins, and either do a python 'proxy' or
    maybe just execute a script.

    Next step might be using win32com or SWIG to set up the interface..

    Just some ideas.

    /Andy
    --
    Everything that was magical was just a way of describing the world in
    words it couldn't ignore.

    Andrew Markebo, Oct 12, 2005