Help: self refreshing textbox in asp.net (C# code behind)

DevilZAngel

Hi all

I am writing a simple chat application in asp.net. Problem is that, when
other user sends a message, I want my testbox (which shows the messages) to
refresh automatically, without using setInterval or anything like that. I
saw a webpage at microsoft's website somewhere using the same thing, but
couldn't find it again. This is the only thing left in the app. Right now i
am using setInterval. The website had scrolling textbox too. I would love
that ;)

I am open to ideas!

Thanks for your time!

DevilZAngel

Chris Jackson

Well, you have a couple of choices. If you want to implement entirely in
DHTML, then you are going to have to do refreshes. However, you can get a
bit more sophisticated with this - you can (and, in fact, may already be)
have your interval update pinging a web service for updates to the chat,
rather than refreshing the entire page. Just grab the XML of any fresh
conversations, and then pump them into the innerHtml of a div (which you can
set to scroll). If you want to have new conversations come to you, then you
are going to have to implement a listener that the server can connect to,
which would entail ActiveX, hosted .Net controls, Java, etc.

DevilZAngel

Thanks for all your help. Can you guide me to website or something for more
info?

Thanks for your time!

DevilZAngel

Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
textbox Refresh

hi!!! i read your post and i have the same problem, i', writing a cha application in asp.net and i have the same problem with the textbox refresh... i saw the answers of your post but i didn't understand what do they do... can u help me please?? my e-mail is (e-mail address removed) if u want to contact me... thanks