Help setting up the SDK...

James Hallam

I've just had to reinstall my system (and therefore Java) but now I'm
trying to reinstall the sdk (version J2EE 1.4) but I keep getting the
following error:

J2eesdk-1_4-dr-windows-eval has caused an error in MSVCRT.DLL.

I'm using a Windows Me (any snide comments about the OS will be ignored)
computer with plenty of hard-drive space and RAM, and have loaded the
Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2 successfully. I've not got any updates on
windows as they just tend to cause problems quicker than without the
updates, so it may be that I need an updated MSVCRT.dll?

Many thanks,

James Hallam

James Hallam

James said:
J2eesdk-1_4-dr-windows-eval has caused an error in MSVCRT.DLL.

Nevermind, found the error - downloaded the ee from java.com when I
should've downloaded normal edition from java.sun.com.

David Bell

James said:
J2eesdk-1_4-dr-windows-eval has caused an error in MSVCRT.DLL.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct one? -windows-eval doesn't look
to happy. Make sure you download the correct version.

David Bell

James said:
windows as they just tend to cause problems quicker than without the
updates, so it may be that I need an updated MSVCRT.dll?

You know cross-posting about this java error won't get you any
friends........ Please don't cross post like that, it confuses the hell
out of me.

Tony Morris

James Hallam said:
Nevermind, found the error - downloaded the ee from java.com when I
should've downloaded normal edition from java.sun.com.

This a common problem caused by the "new look" Sun pages which has the
download to J2EE/SDK at the top.
The correct download is the third from the top.

I can't imagine that anyone who is intending to use the J2EE/SDK would have
any problems determining which download to choose, so I don't know why it
must be at the top.

--
Tony Morris
(BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)

Aileen

James Hallam said:
Nevermind, found the error - downloaded the ee from java.com when I
should've downloaded normal edition from java.sun.com.

may i know what edition is this? have you successfully installed it in
an ME platform?