Help - sites ahead in SE

mogga

Sorry for the vague title but if you search for worcester vista on
google you get
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&q=worcester+vista&meta=

results which list 10 sites one of which mentions my dads site -

(a) how do they trawl the net
(b) its a search through their site to find the reference to it so it
makes it more difficult
(c) how can I make the site itself be above this in the listings.
(d) if I can't beat it how do I join them?
(e) how could I stop them trawling my sites

thanks

Deryck

mogga said:
Sorry for the vague title but if you search for worcester vista on
google you get
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&q=worcester+vista&meta=

results which list 10 sites one of which mentions my dads site -

(a) how do they trawl the net
(b) its a search through their site to find the reference to it so it
makes it more difficult
(c) how can I make the site itself be above this in the listings.
(d) if I can't beat it how do I join them?
(e) how could I stop them trawling my sites

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking (I assume that you want your dad's
site top of the list) but an indication of how google works can be gained
from;

http://www.fixingyourwebsite.com/googleisgod.html

as well as the google site itself of course.

HTH

Deryck

Deryck

PeterMcC

mogga wrote in
Sorry for the vague title but if you search for worcester vista on
google you get
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&q=worcester+vista&meta=

results which list 10 sites one of which mentions my dads site -

(a) how do they trawl the net

Search engines
(b) its a search through their site to find the reference to it so it
makes it more difficult
True

(c) how can I make the site itself be above this in the listings.

Optimise your site for the term Worcester Vista and get lots more links -
and preferably not from pages with filenames like "links.html" or
"links-to-other-sites.html" BTW, are you sure that's the most likely term
for your potential visitors to type into a search engine?

I'd suggest going to:
https://adwords.google.com/select/main and typing in "Worcester" to see what
phrases containing the word are most often used by Google searchers.
(d) if I can't beat it how do I join them?

You have - there are links on your page that show up in searches for other
sites.
(e) how could I stop them trawling my sites

You can't - sorry :(

And a little info about how to post to multiple newsgroups

Big Bill

Sorry for the vague title but if you search for worcester vista on
google you get
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&q=worcester+vista&meta=

results which list 10 sites one of which mentions my dads site -

(a) how do they trawl the net
(b) its a search through their site to find the reference to it so it
makes it more difficult
(c) how can I make the site itself be above this in the listings.

Optimise it. Mogga.
(d) if I can't beat it how do I join them?
(e) how could I stop them trawling my sites

You mean engines? Robots exclusion text would probably work. Try on
alt.internet.search-engines
for more info.

BB

Big Bill

Hows best?

If it was a genuine search engine I wouldn't mind.

What's up with you, Mogs, you got fed up with us or what? You know
you're asking all this on the wrong group.

BB

mogga

What's up with you, Mogs, you got fed up with us or what? You know
you're asking all this on the wrong group.

No I think I'm depressed about un-technical I am. I will just sit here
and wallow quietly with some chocolate. I might wonder over to the
other group later - thanks for the suggestion.
:)

Big Bill

No I think I'm depressed about un-technical I am. I will just sit here
and wallow quietly with some chocolate. I might wonder over to the
other group later - thanks for the suggestion.
:)

What kind of chocolate?

BB