    --
    Free stuff by post
    http://www.freestuffbypost.co.uk

    mogga, Jun 24, 2004

  2. mogga

    Deryck Guest

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&q=worcester vista&meta=

    > results which list 10 sites one of which mentions my dads site -
    >
    > (a) how do they trawl the net
    > (b) its a search through their site to find the reference to it so it
    > makes it more difficult
    > (c) how can I make the site itself be above this in the listings.
    > (d) if I can't beat it how do I join them?
    > (e) how could I stop them trawling my sites

    I'm not entirely sure what you are asking (I assume that you want your dad's
    site top of the list) but an indication of how google works can be gained
    from;

    http://www.fixingyourwebsite.com/googleisgod.html

    as well as the google site itself of course.

    HTH

    Deryck

    Deryck

    Deryck, Jun 24, 2004

  3. mogga

    PeterMcC Guest

    mogga wrote in
    <>

    > Sorry for the vague title but if you search for worcester vista on
    > google you get

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&q=worcester vista&meta=

    > results which list 10 sites one of which mentions my dads site -
    >
    > (a) how do they trawl the net

    Search engines

    > (b) its a search through their site to find the reference to it so it
    > makes it more difficult

    True

    > (c) how can I make the site itself be above this in the listings.

    Optimise your site for the term Worcester Vista and get lots more links -
    and preferably not from pages with filenames like "links.html" or
    "links-to-other-sites.html" BTW, are you sure that's the most likely term
    for your potential visitors to type into a search engine?

    I'd suggest going to:
    https://adwords.google.com/select/main and typing in "Worcester" to see what
    phrases containing the word are most often used by Google searchers.

    > (d) if I can't beat it how do I join them?

    You have - there are links on your page that show up in searches for other
    sites.

    > (e) how could I stop them trawling my sites

    You can't - sorry :(

    And a little info about how to post to multiple newsgroups

    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jun 24, 2004
  4. mogga

    Mitja Guest

    mogga <>
    (news:) wrote:
    > Sorry for the vague title but if you search for worcester vista on
    > google you get

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&q=worcester vista&meta=

    > results which list 10 sites one of which mentions my dads site -

    > (e) how could I stop them trawling my sites

    Search for robots.txt - using google, of course :)
    I have no experience with it, but I guess Google should be using it.

    Mitja, Jun 24, 2004
  5. mogga

    Big Bill Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:57:00 +0100, mogga <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry for the vague title but if you search for worcester vista on
    >google you get
    >http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&q=worcester vista&meta=
    >
    >results which list 10 sites one of which mentions my dads site -
    >
    >(a) how do they trawl the net
    >(b) its a search through their site to find the reference to it so it
    >makes it more difficult
    >(c) how can I make the site itself be above this in the listings.

    Optimise it. Mogga.

    >(d) if I can't beat it how do I join them?
    >(e) how could I stop them trawling my sites

    You mean engines? Robots exclusion text would probably work. Try on
    alt.internet.search-engines
    for more info.

    BB

    Big Bill, Jun 24, 2004
  6. mogga

    mogga Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:23:54 +0100, Big Bill <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:57:00 +0100, mogga <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry for the vague title but if you search for worcester vista on
    >>google you get
    >>http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&q=worcester vista&meta=
    >>
    >>results which list 10 sites one of which mentions my dads site -
    >>
    >>(a) how do they trawl the net
    >>(b) its a search through their site to find the reference to it so it
    >>makes it more difficult
    >>(c) how can I make the site itself be above this in the listings.

    >Optimise it. Mogga.

    Hows best?

    >>(d) if I can't beat it how do I join them?
    >>(e) how could I stop them trawling my sites

    >You mean engines? Robots exclusion text would probably work. Try on
    >alt.internet.search-engines
    >for more info.

    If it was a genuine search engine I wouldn't mind.

    mogga, Jun 29, 2004
  7. mogga

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:49:39 +0100, mogga <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:23:54 +0100, Big Bill <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:57:00 +0100, mogga <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sorry for the vague title but if you search for worcester vista on
    >>>google you get
    >>>http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&q=worcester vista&meta=
    >>>
    >>>results which list 10 sites one of which mentions my dads site -
    >>>
    >>>(a) how do they trawl the net
    >>>(b) its a search through their site to find the reference to it so it
    >>>makes it more difficult
    >>>(c) how can I make the site itself be above this in the listings.

    >>Optimise it. Mogga.
    >>

    >Hows best?
    >

    >>>(d) if I can't beat it how do I join them?
    >>>(e) how could I stop them trawling my sites

    >>You mean engines? Robots exclusion text would probably work. Try on
    >>alt.internet.search-engines
    >>for more info.
    >>

    >If it was a genuine search engine I wouldn't mind.

    What's up with you, Mogs, you got fed up with us or what? You know
    you're asking all this on the wrong group.

    BB

    Big Bill, Jun 30, 2004
  8. mogga

    mogga Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:45:16 +0100, Big Bill <>
    wrote:

    >>If it was a genuine search engine I wouldn't mind.

    >What's up with you, Mogs, you got fed up with us or what? You know
    >you're asking all this on the wrong group.

    No I think I'm depressed about un-technical I am. I will just sit here
    and wallow quietly with some chocolate. I might wonder over to the
    other group later - thanks for the suggestion.
    :)

    mogga, Jul 1, 2004
  9. mogga

    Big Bill Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:32:50 +0100, mogga <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:45:16 +0100, Big Bill <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>>If it was a genuine search engine I wouldn't mind.

    >>What's up with you, Mogs, you got fed up with us or what? You know
    >>you're asking all this on the wrong group.
    >>

    >No I think I'm depressed about un-technical I am. I will just sit here
    >and wallow quietly with some chocolate. I might wonder over to the
    >other group later - thanks for the suggestion.
    >:)

    What kind of chocolate?

    BB

    Big Bill, Jul 2, 2004