HELP... something in these few lines of HTML that will not validate at w3.org

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Matt James, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. Matt James

    Matt James Guest

    When trying to validate this page using w3.org, I get the following error
    message, (which relates to the bit of code copied below).....

    Line 238, column 23: start tag for "TR" omitted, but its declaration does
    not permit this

    I've tried all sorts... can someone tell me where I am going wrong ???

    Many thanks in advance for your very kind help.

    Cheers
    Matt

    cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" >
    <FORM action="http://www.domainname.co.uk/search/ksearch.cgi" method="get"
    name="search">
    search... </span>
    <INPUT name="terms" type="text"
    class="formtext" onFocus="select(this);" value="" size=12>
    <INPUT type="submit" class="formtext"
    value="Search">
    </FORM></td>

    Matt James, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Matt James

    Noozer Guest

    Asking three times won't make it go away...

    > cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" >

    You start a new table and then a new cell... where is the row for that cell
    to go into?

    Looks like something that you shouldn't be using a table for anyhow. Read
    about CSS.

    Noozer, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Matt James

    Mr Bean Guest

    Re: HELP... something in these few lines of HTML that will not validateat w3.org

    Noozer wrote:

    > Looks like something that you shouldn't be using a table for anyhow. Read
    > about CSS.

    It isn't alt.html group?

    If validates (now it will) is correct, soooooo......????????

    Which browser will have problem with that?

    Mr Bean, Jan 7, 2005