HELP: strange behaviour when visiting the ASP website the 2nd time: "Index was outside the bounds of

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ton, Dec 15, 2010.

  1. ton

    ton Guest

    Hi,

    I've developed a ASP.NET web site. It wirks fine on my debug enviroment, it
    works ok on my webserver it even functions on a virtual pc. Now I want to
    install it on the clients server.
    I'creted several tet programs before setting up the application on the
    server. Everything works ok.
    And after installing the application the first time we log on to the app it
    wokrs. I can do all things users would like to do.
    But then after logged of it doesn't work anymore. I get the following error:

    Server Error in '/Appname' Application.

    Index was outside the bounds of the array.

    Exception Details: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the
    bounds of the array.

    Source Error:
    and so on.

    I use to use Formsauthentication, but switch to none, but nothing helps.

    The client works with SQL2000 of a Server 2003

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks

    Ton

    ton, Dec 15, 2010

  2. ton

    Brian Cryer Guest

    Re: strange behaviour when visiting the ASP website the 2nd time: "Index was outside the bounds of the array. "

    "ton" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've developed a ASP.NET web site. It wirks fine on my debug enviroment,
    > it works ok on my webserver it even functions on a virtual pc. Now I want
    > to install it on the clients server.
    > I'creted several tet programs before setting up the application on the
    > server. Everything works ok.
    > And after installing the application the first time we log on to the app
    > it wokrs. I can do all things users would like to do.
    > But then after logged of it doesn't work anymore. I get the following
    > error:
    >
    > Server Error in '/Appname' Application.
    >
    > Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    >
    > Exception Details: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the
    > bounds of the array.
    >
    > Source Error:
    > and so on.

    It sounds to me like an error in your code.

    From the information you see logged you should be able to determine where
    abouts in your code the error is coming from. If you can't pin it down to a
    particular line then I suggest you put in some debug (logging a message to
    the event log on each line would be crude but effective). Once you know what
    line the error is being generated on then you should be able to work out why
    and from that address the bug in your code.

    > I use to use Formsauthentication, but switch to none, but nothing helps.

    It sounds like you don't know why the error is occurring. You need to
    identify which line the error is being generated on and from that why and
    from that what to do about it.

    > The client works with SQL2000 of a Server 2003
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    If you can't work it out for yourself then (and only after you've tried)
    post the full error and the source code for the offending module.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Dec 16, 2010

  3. ton

    ton Guest

    Re: strange behaviour when visiting the ASP website the 2nd time: "Index was outside the bounds of the array. "

    Thanx for your reply.
    I'll add some entries in the evenlog to see which instruction gives the
    error, but it looks strange to me that it only happens on this server and
    not in my development enviroment or any other server I've tried.

    I'll report my progress next week.

    Thanx

    Ton

    ton, Dec 16, 2010
  4. ton

    "ton" <> wrote in message
    > Thanx for your reply.
    > I'll add some entries in the evenlog to see which instruction gives the
    > error, but it looks strange to me that it only happens on this server and
    > not in my development enviroment or any other server I've tried.

    I agree its strange, but I have seen subtly different behaviour between the
    servers I use and my development environment. Frustrating, but it does
    happen.

    > I'll report my progress next week.

    Best of luck with it.

    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Dec 16, 2010
  5. ton

    ton Guest

    Re: strange behaviour when visiting the ASP website the 2nd time: "Index was outside the bounds of the array. "

    YOU'RE RIGHT !

    I can't explain why it works on different servers and not on the one of my
    client but it didn't work because of an error.

    I've added a sub
    Public Shared Sub AddEvent(ByVal info As String)
    Static teller As Integer
    teller = teller + 1
    Try
    'Register the App as an Event Source
    If Not EventLog.SourceExists("Compass") Then
    EventLog.CreateEventSource("Compass", "Compass")
    End If
    EventLog.WriteEntry("compass", info, EventLogEntryType.Warning,
    teller)
    Catch Ex As Exception

    End Try
    End Sub

    And on several places I can follow where the program got. And where it
    stopped there was the error.
    But I could see it much earlier if I had beleved the message when running
    the website on the server itself:
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateIndexGet(Object
    Instance, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames) +22
    dbRecordNET.Session.Loggen(Boolean& Logbook, Int16& LogType, String&
    LogInfo, Boolean ForcedLogging) in
    C:\vb300\Web\dbOLEserver.NET\Session.vb:895
    dbConnect.dbConnect.CreateChildControls() in
    C:\vb300\Web\dbConnect\dbConnect.vb:54
    System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87

    The exact line in the code of a DLL LINE 895 (written in VB) was mentioned,
    followed by the webcontrol who made the call (inclusive the line number 54).
    So when I called the eventlog sub at this point the place was confirmed in
    the eventlog. I still can't figure out why it did work on the other servers.

    Thanks Brian !

    ton, Dec 17, 2010