HELP! TabStrip with Multipage is not working!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Phin, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. Phin

    Phin Guest

    Hi,

    I have spent some time trying to get the tabstrip and multipage to work
    (from the IE web controls).

    I read the article from:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/webcontrols/overview/tabstrip.asp

    On the bottom of the above URL there is a button that says "show me"
    where you can see the tabstip and multipage in action. On the "show me"
    page there is a button to view the source:
    http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/webcontrols/tab/tab2.aspx

    I have the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll referenced in my project
    and when the pages renders all the info for all the tabs is on one page
    and the tabs are just text!

    I have tried many differnet examples (and saw similar posts with no

    I would appreciate any help in getting this to work.

    Please post!

    Thank you,

    Phin
    Phin, Apr 29, 2005

  2. Phin

    Ken Varn Guest

    Have you assigned your MultiPage control ID to the TargetID of the tabstrip
    control?

    --
    -----------------------------------
    Ken Varn

    EmailID = varnk
    Domain = Diebold.com
    -----------------------------------

    Ken Varn, May 2, 2005

  3. Phin

    Phin Guest

    Ken,

    Thank you for your post. I am using the example from
    http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/webcontrols/tab/tab2.aspx

    I installed everything according to the IE web controls doc.
    I repasted the example into place and I am getting the following error:

    "The located assembly's manifest definition with name
    'Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls' does not match the assembly reference."

    I noticed that if I removed the public token section on page it doesn't
    error but all the content on the page is on the one page (it's flat
    with not tabs) like in my original post.

    So, I think it may be since I don't have the proper public token.

    This is how the top of the page looks like (with the public token) just
    like in the example:

    <%@ Import Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="mytab"
    Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
    Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, Version=1.0.2.226,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken= 31bf3856ad364e35" %>

    How do I figure out what the public token is for the
    Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls dll? Or is there something else that I am
    missing?

    Can somebody send me a sample app that implements the sample from
    http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/webcontrols/tab/tab2.aspx ?

    I apprecaite your help!

    Thanks,

    Phin

    Phin, May 3, 2005
  4. Phin

    Phin Guest

    Another thing that I noticed is that in design view in VS.NET the page
    looks like it should, with the tabs but when I run it without a public
    token the page is flat (all of the content is on one page) with no
    tabs. But if I use the PublicKeyToken like in the examples, I get the
    "The located assembly's manifest definition with name
    'Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls' does not match the assembly reference"

    I looked at many posts but I didn't find a solution that worked.

    I appreciate your help!

    Thanks,

    Phin
    Phin, May 3, 2005
  5. Phin

    Phin Guest

    OK. I figured it out. I am going to post everything that I did so the
    next person can get up and running that much faster.

    After I installed the IE web controls, according to a post I updated
    the build.bat file to look like this (since the
    Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll wasn't being created):

    @if "%_echo%"=="" echo off

    if not exist build mkdir build

    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\csc.exe
    /out:build\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll @IEWebControls.rsp
    xcopy src\Runtime build\Runtime /E /Y /I /Q

    Then I followed the instructions exactly and tried to access the app
    via a browser. But I received the following error: "File or assembly
    name Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, or one of its dependencies, was not
    found"

    So, I went into VS.NET created a new asp.net project added my web forms
    and add reference to the dll and it worked!

    Thank you for all your help!

    Phin
    Phin, May 4, 2005
  6. Phin

    Phin Guest

    One more thing. If you want to move the location of your webctrl_client
    folder add the following to the top of your web.config file under
    <configuration> (and update the location of your webctrl_client:

    <configSections>
    <section name="MicrosoftWebControls"
    type="System.Configuration.NameValueFileSectionHandler, System,
    Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

    </configSections>

    <MicrosoftWebControls>
    <add key="CommonFiles"
    value="http://localhost/Your_APP/webctrl_client/1_0/" />
    </MicrosoftWebControls>

    Good luck!

    Phin
    Phin, May 5, 2005
  7. Phin

    Phin Guest

    You make the above even more flexible by replacing the
    <MicrosoftWebControls> with:

    <MicrosoftWebControls>
    <add key="CommonFiles" value="webctrl_client/1_0/" />
    </MicrosoftWebControls>

    Phin
    Phin, May 5, 2005
  8. Phin

    Phin Guest

    For the sake of posting a complete solution, remember to change the
    webctrl_client location in any web page that refers to it.

    Phin
    Phin, May 5, 2005