Help: targetNamespace value on my machine...

Discussion in 'XML' started by Gianni Rubagotti, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. I'm writing an XMl schema to learn and I have a problem

    I want that my schema work on my PC, not to put it on the internet but
    everytime I serach in tutorials the examples put as value of
    targetNamespace a http and I don't know what's the well formed URI to
    say my Schem is in

    C:\skima\

    C:\skima\
    File//C:\skima\
    File:\skima\
    don't works

    How I can write instead of

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    targetNamespace="FILE:\skima\"
    xmlns="FILE:\skima\"
    elementFormDefault="qualified">

    ?

    Thank you,
    Gianni Rubagotti

    P.S.: i validate with
    http://tools.decisionsoft.com/schemaValidate.html

    Gianni Rubagotti, Feb 4, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Gianni Rubagotti <> wrote:

    % I want that my schema work on my PC, not to put it on the internet but
    % everytime I serach in tutorials the examples put as value of
    % targetNamespace a http and I don't know what's the well formed URI to
    % say my Schem is in

    The targetNamespace is not the address of a resource. It's a unique
    string which identifies your set of definitions. If you're not going
    to publish your schema, you can use anything, or leave the name space
    out altogether. People use http URLs because the domain name registry
    provides a convenient way of keeping them unique. Supposing you owned
    the domain giannirubagotti.it, you could use something like
    http://ns.giannirubagotti.it/project, and feel properly affronted if
    somebody else created a conflicting schema using the same name space.

    The URL doesn't have to use http:, but it shouldn't use file:, because
    there's no guarantee of uniqueness. Technically, what you've written
    ought to work -- if you feel more comfortable sticking with file:,
    I suggest making the file name less likely to be repeated

    file:///c/giannirubagotti/it/skima/project-name

    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    East York Canada

    Patrick TJ McPhee, Feb 5, 2004