    I'm not sure this can be done using PERL!!!!! Help me please.

    Any other module or source code?

    , Jul 10, 2006

  2. "" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I want to forecast sales data using time series analysis such as
    > holt's winter exponential smoothing or moving average method.
    >
    > I'm not sure this can be done using PERL!!!!! Help me please.

    Moving average methods are really not that hard. What have you tried?

    > Any other module or source code?

    Other than what?

    A few recommendations:

    * Read the posting guidelines for this group.
    * Exclamation points are hardly ever needed. Doubly so for multiple
    exclamation points.
    * The language is Perl.

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 10, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > I want to forecast sales data using time series analysis such as
    > holt's winter exponential smoothing or moving average method.
    >
    > I'm not sure this can be done using PERL!!!!! Help me please.

    Perl has a lot going for it but if you have any kind of statistical
    problem, use the R system (http://www.r-project.org).
    R is a programming language, suitable for writing scripts which
    can handle very large data sources, and an interactive environment.
    There are dozens of user-contributed add-on packages and
    the user community is active and friendly. Look for mailing
    lists on the web site. R totally rocks.

    The tricky part of statistical problem solving is not in the
    computation,
    it's in the conceptual stuff. I'm guessing that you're not in a good
    position to reinvent wheels here.

    HTH
    Robert Dodier

    Robert Dodier, Jul 10, 2006