HELP! Timeout when accessing Webservice.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by RichardF, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. RichardF

    RichardF Guest

    I have a solution that contains a web service and a web site. I was
    working on it all day Monday with no problems.

    Tuesday morning it stopped working, but ONLY when run from inside
    Visual Studio (VS). Now, when I run it from inside VS, my web site
    times out when trying to access the web service. The initial login
    page comes up OK so I enter my user name and password and hit enter,
    at that time the web site attempts to contact the web service, and
    that is when the time out error occurs.

    If I compile the solution and then load IE and access the website
    OUTSIDE of VS, everything works fine.

    After the timeout occurs my machine behaves very strangely.
    Applications that were already running continue to run, but I am
    unable to start any new applications even though the Start button
    continues to function. I cannot bring up the windows task manager and
    I cannot shut down windows. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing. My only
    option is to power the machine down.

    Here is what I have done so far to try to diagnose the problem (Note:
    nothing has helped!)...

    1 - Restored a source backup from the weekend.
    2 - Restored a source backup from last week.
    3 - De-installed IIS and VS.NET 2003, re-installed IIS and VS.NET
    2003.

    Because none of that helped, I then created a new solution. The first
    project was a web service called TestService with the following web
    method...

    <WebMethod()> _
    Public Function TestMethod(ByVal YourName As String) As String
    Return "Hello " & YourName
    End Function

    ....and an asp web site with one page with one label with the following
    code...

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    Dim WS As New localhost.TestService

    Me.Label1.Text = WS.TestMethod("Bob")
    End Sub

    After building the solution I load IE and go to
    http://localhost/testsite/webform1.aspx I get what I expected, a
    message saying "Hello Bob".

    But, from inside VS, I set the startup project to the web site and run
    it I STILL get a timeout accessing the web service.

    Any ideas? I can only think of one final option, and that is to
    rebuild the entire machine!

    RichardF

    RichardF, Apr 13, 2005