Help to create a Ruby extension in C

Newb Newb

hi..
i just followed the peter cooper's tutorial on How to create a Ruby
extension in C in under 5 minutes in the rubyinside.com.
folowng the tutorial i create extconf.rb and MyTest.c .
i installed the cygwin.

in that command prompt i given command =>$ ruby extconf.rb

after giving the command it created the makefile in to my folder.

after that i given command => $ make

it creates MyTest.o file and mytest(this file type is Apache Loadable
Module)

and no errors...

it has not created the .so file into my folder...

In irb when i give require 'mytest'

the irb doesnot display anything...

what is the problem..and what i m doing wrong....

Kindly Help Me out...

Brian Candler

Newb said:
it creates MyTest.o file and mytest(this file type is Apache Loadable
Module)

Possibly would be a DLL for Windows?
In irb when i give require 'mytest'

the irb doesnot display anything...

Can you paste *exactly* what you see? If it returns "true" then the
extension was loaded correctly. Or did it crash IRB, i.e. you didn't
even get a prompt back?

Newb Newb

Brian said:
Possibly would be a DLL for Windows?

Can you paste *exactly* what you see? If it returns "true" then the
extension was loaded correctly. Or did it crash IRB, i.e. you didn't
even get a prompt back?

thank you..it actaully created .so file..
but when i give require command it gives me true..
but want to know wat it does when i give require 'mytest' command...
and when i give command like require 'MyTest' command it shows me
error..

what is the reason

Thanks

Ryan Davis

thank you..it actaully created .so file..
but when i give require command it gives me true..
but want to know wat it does when i give require 'mytest' command...
and when i give command like require 'MyTest' command it shows me
error..
what is the reason

the file is named "mytest.so" and you're probably on a case sensitive
file system. I'm guessing you don't have a file named MyTest.so
(or .rb).

look at your doco for Kernel#require to see what it does. You can use
`ri` for that or look it up on rubydoc or somesuch.