HELP: "Too many people access this site" error

VB Programmer

I have a web solution that I deployed to our web server. I was looking at
the site (on my PC), and so was my customer (on his PC). It worked well for
like 10 minutes. Then, all of a sudden we got a "Page could not be
displayed" message. It said that "There are too many people accessing the
web site at this time." I went to ISM and restarted the default web site a
few times and after like 5 minutes of doing this we got right in and
continued as usual. I am POSITIVE it was only the 2 of us looking at the
site, because it's on a secret server.

Anyone know how I can increase the number of "people"???? It was only the
TWO OF US!

Thanks.

S. Justin Gengo

What platform is the server running on?

windows server 2000, windows advanced server 2000, windows server 2003?

Knowing that will help determine what needs to be set.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

Tom C.

Your "server" is running a desktop operating system.
These are limited to 10 connections. Once you have
opened 10 connections, you must wait for them to timeout
before you can open another.
I have a web solution that I deployed to our web server. I was looking at
the site (on my PC), and so was my customer (on his PC). It worked well for
like 10 minutes. Then, all of a sudden we got a "Page could not be
displayed" message. It said that "There are too many people accessing the
web site at this time." I went to ISM and restarted the default web site a
few times and after like 5 minutes of doing this we got right in and
continued as usual. I am POSITIVE it was only the 2 of us looking at the
site, because it's on a secret server.

Anyone know how I can increase the number
of "people"???? It was only the

VB Programmer

W2K Professional SP3

S. Justin Gengo said:
What platform is the server running on?

windows server 2000, windows advanced server 2000, windows server 2003?

Knowing that will help determine what needs to be set.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

site

VB Programmer

What is considered a "connection"? Browser window? Db connection by server
to db? Each image that is on a web page? Etc...

S. Justin Gengo

VBProgrammer,

In this case (You're running Win2k pro) Tom C. Is absolutely correct. I
thought the same but wanted to confirm what you were running. You are not
running a web server. You are running a desktop operating system.

You are only allowed ten connections. And the way that works (to answer your
last question to Tom) is that every time you connect to the site a session
is created. When you close your browser that session does not time out for
20 minutes (by default). So if you open your app in your browser, close the
browser, then re-open the app before 20 minutes go by, you now have two of
ten sessions taken up.

If you need to server your pages to more than ten people at a time it would
be a good idea to invest in a real server operating system such as Windows
Server 2003.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

S. Justin Gengo said:
What platform is the server running on?

windows server 2000, windows advanced server 2000, windows server 2003?

Knowing that will help determine what needs to be set.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer