HELP : 'Unable to Validate Error' !!!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ramya, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. Ramya

    Ramya Guest

    Hi,

    I am having a problem which is :

    I have a asp.net project running on our webserver. It worked ok till
    sometime back.

    Sometimeback, we installed a cisco CSS box ( for loadsharing) between
    the primary webserver, and the secondary servers.

    After that, I found that my asp.net page would randomly give the error
    message -
    Unable to validate data' - most of the time on a postback to the server
    ( for the detailed error message - see below)

    I have been very much assured that the CSS box does LOADSHARING WITH
    STICKY SESSIONS - (ie) once you open a browser, it does not switch to a
    different server ( on the same browser). So, this scenario is different
    from a webfarm ( where it can postback to a different server each
    time).

    Assuming there is no posting back to a different server ( no webfarm
    scenario) - I cannot change the machine.config file - because I have
    been advised not to. I have read articles which advise me to have the
    same validation key across all servers ( in a webfarm scenario) - but
    there is no way I can suggest this unless I have valid 'PROOF' that
    that is indeed the case. How can I figure out the cause / ( OR if for
    some reason - it is doing post back to a different server in the same
    browser - 'PROVE' that that is actually the case?

    Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this. I am not sure what could be
    causing it- just that it may have something to do with loadsharing and
    it happens on a Page Postback.

    Someone, Please HELP !!!!!

    ( More details on the error message):

    Server Error in '/IAMI/ASP' Application.

    Unable to validate data.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Unable to validate data.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to validate data.]
    System.Web.Configuration.MachineKey.GetDecodedData(Byte[] buf, Byte[]
    modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength) +195
    System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input) +60

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Authentication of viewstate failed. 1) If
    this is a cluster, edit <machineKey> configuration so all servers use
    the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot
    be used in a cluster. 2) Viewstate can only be posted back to the same
    page. 3) The viewstate for this page might be corrupted.]
    System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input) +118
    System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +101

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Invalid_Viewstate
    Client IP: 71.106.192.225
    Port: 50337
    System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +442
    System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageViewState() +18

    Ramya, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Ramya wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having a problem which is :
    >
    > I have a asp.net project running on our webserver. It worked ok till
    > sometime back.
    >
    > Sometimeback, we installed a cisco CSS box ( for loadsharing) between
    > the primary webserver, and the secondary servers.
    >
    > After that, I found that my asp.net page would randomly give the
    > error message -
    > Unable to validate data' - most of the time on a postback to the
    > server ( for the detailed error message - see below)

    Hi Ramya,

    I realize that you have a Cisco load balancer using sticky sessions.
    However, one thing to keep in mind. Sticky sessions is a best-effort
    technology. It is still possible to fail over. The error you are getting
    indicates that's what's happening.

    If you specify explicit machine keys that match on both boxes, does the
    problem go away? If so, I would look into the failover issue because if
    you're using InProc session, you'll lose it when that happens.

    --
    Jim Cheshire
    JIMCO Software

    JIMCO Software, Oct 19, 2005

  3. Ramya

    Bruce Barker Guest

    sticky sessions are not always sticky. the standard sticky approach is to
    assign an incoming ip to a fixed server, but if the client is using multiple
    nat ipaddress this fails. the safest approach, is to have different domain
    names for each server and redirect to that domain. this only fails if your
    code does a generic redirect.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Oct 19, 2005