HELP : 'Unable to Validate Error' !!!

Ramya

Hi,

I am having a problem which is :

I have a asp.net project running on our webserver. It worked ok till
sometime back.

Sometimeback, we installed a cisco CSS box ( for loadsharing) between
the primary webserver, and the secondary servers.

After that, I found that my asp.net page would randomly give the error
message -
Unable to validate data' - most of the time on a postback to the server
( for the detailed error message - see below)

I have been very much assured that the CSS box does LOADSHARING WITH
STICKY SESSIONS - (ie) once you open a browser, it does not switch to a
different server ( on the same browser). So, this scenario is different
from a webfarm ( where it can postback to a different server each
time).

Assuming there is no posting back to a different server ( no webfarm
scenario) - I cannot change the machine.config file - because I have
been advised not to. I have read articles which advise me to have the
same validation key across all servers ( in a webfarm scenario) - but
there is no way I can suggest this unless I have valid 'PROOF' that
that is indeed the case. How can I figure out the cause / ( OR if for
some reason - it is doing post back to a different server in the same
browser - 'PROVE' that that is actually the case?

Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this. I am not sure what could be
causing it- just that it may have something to do with loadsharing and
it happens on a Page Postback.

Someone, Please HELP !!!!!

( More details on the error message):

Server Error in '/IAMI/ASP' Application.

Unable to validate data.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Unable to validate data.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to validate data.]
System.Web.Configuration.MachineKey.GetDecodedData(Byte[] buf, Byte[]
modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength) +195
System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input) +60

[HttpException (0x80004005): Authentication of viewstate failed. 1) If
this is a cluster, edit <machineKey> configuration so all servers use
the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot
be used in a cluster. 2) Viewstate can only be posted back to the same
page. 3) The viewstate for this page might be corrupted.]
System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input) +118
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +101

[HttpException (0x80004005): Invalid_Viewstate
Client IP: 71.106.192.225
Port: 50337
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +442
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageViewState() +18

JIMCO Software

Ramya said:
Hi,

I am having a problem which is :

I have a asp.net project running on our webserver. It worked ok till
sometime back.

Sometimeback, we installed a cisco CSS box ( for loadsharing) between
the primary webserver, and the secondary servers.

After that, I found that my asp.net page would randomly give the
error message -
Unable to validate data' - most of the time on a postback to the
server ( for the detailed error message - see below)

Hi Ramya,

I realize that you have a Cisco load balancer using sticky sessions.
However, one thing to keep in mind. Sticky sessions is a best-effort
technology. It is still possible to fail over. The error you are getting
indicates that's what's happening.

If you specify explicit machine keys that match on both boxes, does the
problem go away? If so, I would look into the failover issue because if
you're using InProc session, you'll lose it when that happens.

Bruce Barker

sticky sessions are not always sticky. the standard sticky approach is to
assign an incoming ip to a fixed server, but if the client is using multiple
nat ipaddress this fails. the safest approach, is to have different domain
names for each server and redirect to that domain. this only fails if your
code does a generic redirect.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)