Help understanding "named anchors" please

Jeff Wisnia

I'm scratching my head trying to understand, "Why is this like that".

I've got a personal home page named "index.html" stored in the directory
named /jeff/ in my file storage space at my ISP.

That page is reachable through this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/

and not unsuprisingly to me also through this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/index.html/

I added a named anchor "qpipe" to my "index.html" page, using the
following HTML code:

<a name="qpipe"></a>

I expected that I should direct folks to that anchor by giving them this
link:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/index.html/#qpipe

But it doesn't work, and "page doesn't exist" is returned.

However, directing them here does work:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/#qpipe

What am I missing/doing wrong here?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Nick Theodorakis

I'm scratching my head trying to understand, "Why is this like that".

I've got a personal home page named "index.html" stored in the directory
named /jeff/ in my file storage space at my ISP.

That page is reachable through this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/

This is a request to load the default index file in the directory
/jeff, which in your case is named "index.html"
and not unsuprisingly to me also through this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/index.html/

Well, that would be suprising to me if that worked. You are asking for
the index file (or directory listing) in the directory called
"index.html", which of course is not a directory but a file. You
should be using:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/index.html
(without the trailing slash)

I added a named anchor "qpipe" to my "index.html" page, using the
following HTML code:

<a name="qpipe"></a>

I expected that I should direct folks to that anchor by giving them this
link:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/index.html/#qpipe

No, that should be:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/index.html#qpipe

Blinky the Shark

Nick said:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:27:47 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
This is a request to load the default index file in the directory
/jeff, which in your case is named "index.html"
Well, that would be suprising to me if that worked. You are asking for
the index file (or directory listing) in the directory called
"index.html", which of course is not a directory but a file. You

Yeah, I was surprised to find that it worked, too.[1] :) (I already
responded to Jeff in another group.)

[1]I live and learn; life is good.

Arne

Once said:
Nick said:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:27:47 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
Well, that would be suprising to me if that worked. You are asking for
the index file (or directory listing) in the directory called
"index.html", which of course is not a directory but a file. You

Yeah, I was surprised to find that it worked, too.[1] :) (I already
responded to Jeff in another group.)

[1]I live and learn; life is good.

How can it work if there is no *directory* called index.html? All I
get is an error page from Comcast that says "Page URL Not Found!!"

Blinky the Shark

Arne said:
Once upon a time *Blinky the Shark* wrote:
Nick Theodorakis wrote:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/index.html/
Well, that would be suprising to me if that worked. You are asking for
the index file (or directory listing) in the directory called
"index.html", which of course is not a directory but a file. You
Yeah, I was surprised to find that it worked, too.[1] :) (I already
responded to Jeff in another group.)
[1]I live and learn; life is good.
How can it work if there is no *directory* called index.html? All I
get is an error page from Comcast that says "Page URL Not Found!!"

My bad. I meant to say that I was surprised that

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/#qpipe

worked. (That the unnamed default page would be served at the anchor
point, as if the page had been specified).

Jeff Wisnia

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

It's always the little things that get me.

I got so fixated on forward slashes separating "all things" that I
slavishly used it where it wasn't needed.

Thanks again,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Jeff Wisnia

Nick said:
This is a request to load the default index file in the directory
/jeff, which in your case is named "index.html"

Well, that would be suprising to me if that worked. You are asking for
the index file (or directory listing) in the directory called
"index.html", which of course is not a directory but a file. You
should be using:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/index.html
(without the trailing slash)
You are correct of course. I put that last forward slash in by mistake
when composing my post.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia