Help... Use Shelve in CGI script? -- Nevermind

J Black

Hello,

I recently came across the shelve module and fell in love with it. It
works fine on the command line... But when I put the same code into the cgi
script it crashes everytime. Here's the output from the cgi crash.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/www/cgi-bin/test.cgi", line 8, in ?
db = shelve.open("register", "c")
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/shelve.py", line 231, in open
return DbfilenameShelf(filename, flag, protocol, writeback, binary)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/shelve.py", line 212, in __init__
Shelf.__init__(self, anydbm.open(filename, flag), protocol, writeback,
binar
y)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/anydbm.py", line 83, in open
return mod.open(file, flag, mode)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/dbhash.py", line 16, in open
return bsddb.hashopen(file, flag, mode)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/bsddb/__init__.py", line 192, in hashopen
d.open(file, db.DB_HASH, flags, mode)
bsddb._db.DBAccessError: (13, 'Permission denied')
Exception exceptions.AttributeError: "DbfilenameShelf instance has no
attribute
'writeback'" in ignored
[Wed Nov 24 00:49:37 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of
script he
aders: /var/www/cgi-bin/test.cgi

---------

Now this line bsddb._db.DBAccessError: (13, 'Permission denied') says
permission denied. How do I get the permission to use it in my cgi script
for the Apache web server? I tried already having a valid... oh wait. I
got it.

The way I just got it working is as follows. I generated a database file in
my home folder. (Cause another error I was getting was wrong database
lookup). So I took this working database file and put it in my cgi
directory. Then to make it work I changed it to world readable and
writable. Then the cgi script ran just fine :).