HELP: Visual Studio + Dreamweaver, Page Inheritence + Templates

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hopefully somebody can help me with this very frustrating problem.

    In Dreamweaver I have a template page and a page created from this template
    called Home.aspx. In Visual Studio I have a class inherited from
    System.Web.UI.Page which represents the template (including all components
    and associated events defined in the template). Then I have a codebehind
    file for Home.aspx that defines a class (Home) that includes controls
    specific to Home.aspx only.

    The problem I have is whenever I load up Home.aspx in Visual Studio, and
    then select View Code - the editor automatically inserts all the controls
    from the Home.aspx page straight into the class definition. This means the
    controls are then duplicated since they are already defined (as Protected
    members) in the class that Home inherits from. This means I have to keep
    manually deleting them.

    I know why it does this since the controls exist on the both the template
    and the Home.aspx and VS doesn't understand Dreamweaver templates, but since
    the controls are defined as Protected then why is it duplicating them! Can I
    switch this auto code generation off?

    --
    Best regards
    Mark Baldwin

    Mark, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Re: Visual Studio + Dreamweaver, Page Inheritence + Templates

    For those that are interested, I have decided to ditch Dreamweaver in favour
    of the User Controls functionality that is in Visual Studio. This integrates
    perfectly with Visual Studio and provides similiar functionality to
    Dreamweaver templates.

    --
    Best regards
    Mark Baldwin