help w/ simple GPIB prog.

Discussion in 'Python' started by whoopsi, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. whoopsi

    whoopsi Guest

    Hi,
    Could someone give me some simple commands for communicating with
    GPIB devices. All I want is to aquire values from a multimeter/fiber
    optic attenuator/and a power meter. Nothing too complex. I was able to
    do so using Matlab (however, I was using the serail port) and
    communicating via SCPI language, but now the computer I'm using doesn't
    have Matlab, so I'm trying to learn with Python. I've downloaded and
    installed: ActivePython_2.4, pyserial-2.2, and
    gpib-devices-0.0.4.win32.exe. I have read some beginner's guides to
    python, but they don't discuss GPIB programming much.
    I thought I would simply be able to open a port, and send SCPI
    commands to configure and aquire values. But when I tried to run GPIB
    ..py files from gpib-device-0.0.4 I got an error: "symbol 'ibsta' not
    found". Doing some searching I found that ibsta was refering to a
    library for GPIB (I'm assuming some .dll from a driver) and wrapping
    them???. But these instruments as far as I know don't need drivers.

    The instruments I'm using are:
    -PC w/ WIN2k
    -Keithley 2000 multimeter
    -HP 8156A optical attenuator
    -ILXLightwave Fiber Optic Power Meter

    Essentially what I would like to do is simply run the attenuator
    through different dB values and measure the voltage using the
    multimeter. And possibly later integrating the power meter.
    If you could help me I would appreciate it, and please forgive the
    above longwindedness. thanks.
    -Allen
    whoopsi, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Hallöchen!

    "whoopsi" <> writes:

    > Could someone give me some simple commands for communicating with
    > GPIB devices.

    If you find a file called visa32.dll on your system, you can just
    use <http://pyvisa.sourceforge.net>. NI ships this file bundled
    with their GPIB hardware, and you can download the latest version
    from <http://ni.com/visa>.

    Tschö,
    Torsten.

    --
    Torsten Bronger, aquisgrana, europa vetus ICQ 264-296-646
    Torsten Bronger, Oct 4, 2005