Help wanted will pay reasonable fee

rf

WebcastMaker
well the shoots the shit out of the world smallest computer....

Reminds me...

There used to be an Insurance company: Commerial And General Assurance.

They had naming rights to one of the most prominent buildings in Sydney,
which they, of course, labeled CAGA.

Neal

WebcastMaker

Reminds me...

There used to be an Insurance company: Commerial And General Assurance.

They had naming rights to one of the most prominent buildings in Sydney,
which they, of course, labeled CAGA.

I see that "la caga" is offensive, but what does it mean?

Cathy Puta

For reasons which do not concern you I do NOT want a database as stated clearly
in the request.
You need to learn to give the client what is wanted. Not to impose your
ignorance on them.

x-no-archive:yes
While the city slept, Augustus ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
Help wanted will pay reasonable fee

I need someone who can working from a template I supply, fill in the
data for 308 Members of Parliament (MPs)

This is NOT a database project.

It would be hard to come up with a more perfect example of what
should be a database project
Agreed
[...]

- if an MP is voted out of office (or dies or retires or whatever)
you only have to delete his/her entry in the DB and enter the new
entry... [...]

A better approach would be to have an entry for each seat, and change the
details of the sitting MP when necessary. No need to delete one and then
enter another. Eg. I am in the High Peak constituency (UK). The sitting MP
is Tom Levitt (Labour). If (or when) at the next election there is a new MP,
simply change the details for "High Peak" to reflect this. I would also
suggest recording such details as the MP's majority, and the majority at the
previous election (to help demonstrate any swing). If he actually manages to
keep his seat, then update the High Peak entry to show the new majority.

Cheers,
Nige

Karl Groves

Cathy Puta said:
For reasons which do not concern you I do NOT want a database as stated
clearly
in the request.
You need to learn to give the client what is wanted. Not to impose your
ignorance on them.

You're not anyone's client here.
You've posted a message and received, among other things, advice as to why
your idea is moronic.
YOU need to learn to accept the wisdom of those who have the experience to
know the best plan.
Do you tell your doctor what to do?
Do you tell your mechanic what to do?
Then don't tell web authors and programmers what to do unless you know more
than they do (at which point you'd be doing the job yourself)

-Karl

Hywel

You need to learn to give the client what is wanted. Not to impose your
ignorance on them.

Bollocks. Clients engage people like us because we have more of a clue
than they do. You fall into the "without a clue" category.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Cathy Puta ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
For reasons which do not concern you I do NOT want a database as
stated clearly in the request.
You need to learn to give the client what is wanted. Not to impose
your ignorance on them.

Rather, it is the developer's responsibility to find the most efficient
means of providing for the client's needs. By all means, produce 308
separate static pages if you want, but the maintenance cost of this is going
to be massive. What are you going to do when you realise that you have - as
an example - spelt "parliament" wrong in the original template and now need
to change 308 occurences of one mistake? It is also going to be a QA
nightmare. We have all given good reasons for doing this with a database. I
cannot think of even one remotely good reason why it shouldn't be done using
a database. If you can, please do let us know. I am intrigued that the
reasons "do not concern [me]" - why such secrecy over whether or not to use
a database?

Cheers,
Nige

Greg Schmidt

While the city slept, Cathy Puta ([email protected]) feverishly typed...

Anyone else noticed that whenever anyone uses these words, their idea of
"reasonable" tends to be less than minimum wage?
I'm intrigued as to what this is about... Which parliament?
http://www.canlaw.com/parliament/mps.html

Read the other responses for good reasons why this is a bad idea.

The really sad thing is, according to their web site, they already have (or
plan to also have) the same information available in a database. My best
guess is that they want to be able to sell a CD with all the HTML pages on
it.

Why wouldn't they look for someone to write a simple app that will take the
database information and populate the 308 pages automatically? I could
probably whip this up for them in a day or less, but I have this thing
against working for the clueless.

WebcastMaker

For reasons which do not concern you I do NOT want a database as stated clearly
in the request.
You need to learn to give the client what is wanted. Not to impose your
ignorance on them.

For reasons that DO concern you, I seriously doubt you will get your
answer.....

You need to learn not to be an ass. We are not here for your private
help desk, I forget who said it, but here is the usenet process:

1: You ask a question.
2: we discuss it

That's it. If you happen to get an answer from that discussion then you
win.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Greg Schmidt ([email protected]) feverishly typed...

Amazing. On this page they claim to have "the most comprehensive 2004
Directory of Canadian Members of Parliament on the net", yet before that
state that "As of Sept 13 2004 the new contact information for MPs is still
not available".

Can they possibly be more comprehensive than the Canadian Parliament
website's List of Members of the House of Commons (
http://tinyurl.com/4e8j7 )? Seems to list all 308 members, with phone, fax,
email and constituency office details - all you could need for lobbying
purposes. Oh yes, and it uses a database... Probably explains how they got
it updated so quickly! ;-)
Why wouldn't they look for someone to write a simple app that will
take the database information and populate the 308 pages
automatically? I could probably whip this up for them in a day or
less, but I have this thing against working for the clueless.

I know what you mean...

Cheers,
Nige