HELP! web services deployment question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Bob Britton, Nov 2, 2004.

  1. Bob Britton

    Bob Britton Guest

    OK. On my dev server, I have a web application with a web service.

    http://myserver/webreports/productionsummaryreportbybatchid.asmx

    it works great.

    I this little web application/web service is developed isolated and is to be
    deployed into our main web application.

    i took the assembly from my project
    (myserver/webreports/bin/webservices.dll) and copied it over to my main web
    applicaiton's bin directory.

    i copied the asmx file over to the application directory of my main
    application.

    when I go to:

    http://myserver/mainapplication/productionsummaryreportbybatchid.asmx on the
    machine itself (not remotely, but working on the actual server), the page
    displays fine. I have one web method in the system. Let's call it MakeReport
    (it makes a PDF crystal report).

    on this page, if i click on the function, MakeReport, the page shows the
    Text input boxes for my paramters and the operation methods (SOAP, HTTP
    POST, HTTP GET).

    If I fill in values and click the INVOKE button, I get an error (http
    500 -page cannot be displayed. internal server error).

    here's what's interesting.

    the url in the pop up window from clicking on the INVOKE button is this URL:

    http://myserver/selfserve/webreport....asmx/DisplayProductionSummaryReportByBatchID

    if i put in the browser all but the last part, like this:

    http://myserver/selfserve/webreportsrpb/productionsummaryreportbybatchid.asmx

    i at least get the page to display in the browser.

    but i noticed that the end part causes the error. Also, on my test web app,
    I noticed that after putting in paramters then pushing INVOKE returns a
    longer URL with Key/Value pairs for all the parameter data where as the
    resulting URL after clicking the INVOKE button does not have any paramters
    (key value pairs at all).

    so basically, the basic ASMX page shows, but the invoke doesn't work (HTTP
    500 internal server error).

    If I take my test development asmx url, click on the INVOKE button and copy
    the URL to a new browser window (with all the key value paramters) but
    modify the first part to refer to my main application, it dies as well.
    (http 500 internal server error).

    Put it more succinctly, in deploying my web service, the test INVOKE is not
    working (POST method). In my web config, I enabled HTTP GET and HTTP POST
    for both apps.

    The one difference is that my test applicaiton is devloped under .net
    Framework 1.0, where as the main application configuration is set for 1.1.

    I also followed microsoft's KB to turn on HTTP GET and HTTP Post in the
    machine.config (or web.config) of my main web applicaiton.

    basically, the page is not posting correctly and is displaying an error.
    it's driving me nuts.

    Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to check into this?

    Bob Britton, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Bob Britton

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Have you tried Copy Project from the VS.NET Project menu?

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Nov 4, 2004

  3. Bob Britton

    Bob Britton Guest

    well, two things:

    For simplicity, I switched the site to .Net Framework 1.0 and it's working.

    Someone else told me that the Internal Server Error (500) is a simple
    display message from IE 5/6. I learned how to shut that off. now i just have
    to reset the site back to 1.1 to get the actual error and see what's going
    on.

    So, I have it running deployed under 1.0, but i'd like to get 1.1 working.

    Thanks for your help guys!

    Bob Britton, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Bob Britton

    Guest Guest

    Again, you didn't answer my question. I don't take time to respond to
    questions like this because I'm in need of a chat buddy. I ask specific
    questions, and expect a specific answer. Areas that I had problems with, and
    found an answer. Is it that difficult? What are they teaching these days
    for common sense trouble shooting? Obviously not enough.

    Guest, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Bob Britton

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Rob,

    Let me try and help.

    The easiest way to deploy to a server is to use the Publish feature from
    Visual Studio.Net. This does things like prepare the Virtual Directory,
    set up the ASP.NET version information, and determine whether the required
    parts of the framework are properly configured. Then when that is all set
    up, it copies the needed files.

    I suspect that since this is a 1.0 application that you wanted to upgrade
    to 1.1 that there are some VDIR setting issues. Try creating the service
    using Publish under a new Vdir. This will help you determine whether it is
    an issue with that particular Vdir, or whether there are some 1.1. setup
    issues that need to be resolved on the server.

    I hope this helps,

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------
    >From: "Bob Britton" <>

    <>
    >Subject: Re: HELP! web services deployment question
    >Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:01:12 -0500
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    phx.gbl

    Dan Rogers, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Bob Britton

    Bob Britton Guest

    Thanks Dan. I appreciate your help.

    It makes sense what you say. let me try it and i'll follow-up.

    Bob.

    "Dan Rogers" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Rob,
    >
    > Let me try and help.
    >
    > The easiest way to deploy to a server is to use the Publish feature from
    > Visual Studio.Net. This does things like prepare the Virtual Directory,
    > set up the ASP.NET version information, and determine whether the required
    > parts of the framework are properly configured. Then when that is all

    set
    > up, it copies the needed files.
    >
    > I suspect that since this is a 1.0 application that you wanted to upgrade
    > to 1.1 that there are some VDIR setting issues. Try creating the service
    > using Publish under a new Vdir. This will help you determine whether it

    is
    > an issue with that particular Vdir, or whether there are some 1.1. setup
    > issues that need to be resolved on the server.
    >
    > I hope this helps,
    >
    > Dan Rogers
    > Microsoft Corporation
    > >From: "Bob Britton" <>

    > <>
    > >Subject: Re: HELP! web services deployment question
    > >Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:01:12 -0500
    > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

    cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09

    Bob Britton, Nov 19, 2004