Help: What is a .do web page extension?

darren_peterson

Since I am new to Java web development, I was stummped when one of my
clients asked me if I could do some web page maintenance to a ".do" web
page file. He tells me that this page was written in Java.

Can someone explain to me what a ".do" file is and where I can find
information on it's structure and syntax?

Thanks in advance,
deeman

Joona I Palaste

(e-mail address removed) scribbled the following:
Since I am new to Java web development, I was stummped when one of my
clients asked me if I could do some web page maintenance to a ".do" web
page file. He tells me that this page was written in Java.
Can someone explain to me what a ".do" file is and where I can find
information on it's structure and syntax?

It can be anything it wants. Really. Filename extensions do not mandate
the format of the file, or how it is used. At least not generally. ".do"
is none of the extensions I've heard Java ever define for anything, so
it must be defined by some other thing. This thing, then, can be your
client, one of their clients, a third party, the FBI, aliens, whatever.

Chavi Tyberg

Is it a struts application? In their web.xml they probably mapped the
servlet's actions to .do or something like that...

Ryan Stewart

Joona I Palaste said:
(e-mail address removed) scribbled the following:

It can be anything it wants. Really. Filename extensions do not mandate
the format of the file, or how it is used. At least not generally. ".do"
is none of the extensions I've heard Java ever define for anything, so
it must be defined by some other thing. This thing, then, can be your
client, one of their clients, a third party, the FBI, aliens, whatever.
".do" is the "standard" extension mapped to for Struts.

Sudsy

Ryan said:
".do" is the "standard" extension mapped to for Struts.

Words of advice: trust Ryan on this; he know his stuff!
Best approach is to look for the servlet-mapping tags in
the application WEB-INF/web.xml file. When you find the
one which maps a url-pattern to a servlet-name then you
merely have to locate the servlet tag which contains the
matching servlet-name. QED.

ajitsd

The web.xml file in J2EE compliant servers allows URL pattern matching
to direct to a particular servlet. Though not a standard, common usage
of Struts uses a .do extension that directs requests to a central
servlet that does the traffic diversion to correct resources (C in MVC
model).

In reality you will never find a .do file anywhere. This is just a
hidden implementation of a servlet. Whenever the URL contains a .do
extension, the control is passed to the servlet that you have
configured to match with your .do extension in web.xml.

Juha Laiho

(e-mail address removed) said:
Since I am new to Java web development, I was stummped when one of my
clients asked me if I could do some web page maintenance to a ".do" web
page file. He tells me that this page was written in Java.

If I recall correctly, at least the Struts MVC framework utilizes
URL's ending with ".do". See http://struts.apache.org/ .