    Thanks in advance,
    deeman
    , Dec 15, 2004

  2. scribbled the following:
    > Since I am new to Java web development, I was stummped when one of my
    > clients asked me if I could do some web page maintenance to a ".do" web
    > page file. He tells me that this page was written in Java.

    > Can someone explain to me what a ".do" file is and where I can find
    > information on it's structure and syntax?

    It can be anything it wants. Really. Filename extensions do not mandate
    the format of the file, or how it is used. At least not generally. ".do"
    is none of the extensions I've heard Java ever define for anything, so
    it must be defined by some other thing. This thing, then, can be your
    client, one of their clients, a third party, the FBI, aliens, whatever.

    "C++. C++ run. Run, ++, run."
    - JIPsoft
    Joona I Palaste, Dec 15, 2004

  3. Chavi Tyberg Guest

    Is it a struts application? In their web.xml they probably mapped the
    servlet's actions to .do or something like that...

    Chavi Tyberg, Dec 15, 2004
  4. Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Joona I Palaste" <> wrote in message
    > scribbled the following:
    >> Since I am new to Java web development, I was stummped when one of my
    >> clients asked me if I could do some web page maintenance to a ".do" web
    >> page file. He tells me that this page was written in Java.

    >> Can someone explain to me what a ".do" file is and where I can find
    >> information on it's structure and syntax?

    > It can be anything it wants. Really. Filename extensions do not mandate
    > the format of the file, or how it is used. At least not generally. ".do"
    > is none of the extensions I've heard Java ever define for anything, so
    > it must be defined by some other thing. This thing, then, can be your
    > client, one of their clients, a third party, the FBI, aliens, whatever.

    ".do" is the "standard" extension mapped to for Struts.
    Ryan Stewart, Dec 15, 2004
  5. Sudsy Guest

    Ryan Stewart wrote:
    > ".do" is the "standard" extension mapped to for Struts.

    Words of advice: trust Ryan on this; he know his stuff!
    Best approach is to look for the servlet-mapping tags in
    the application WEB-INF/web.xml file. When you find the
    one which maps a url-pattern to a servlet-name then you
    merely have to locate the servlet tag which contains the
    matching servlet-name. QED.
    Sudsy, Dec 16, 2004

    The web.xml file in J2EE compliant servers allows URL pattern matching
    to direct to a particular servlet. Though not a standard, common usage
    of Struts uses a .do extension that directs requests to a central
    servlet that does the traffic diversion to correct resources (C in MVC
    model).

    In reality you will never find a .do file anywhere. This is just a
    hidden implementation of a servlet. Whenever the URL contains a .do
    extension, the control is passed to the servlet that you have
    configured to match with your .do extension in web.xml.
    , Dec 16, 2004
  7. Juha Laiho Guest

    said:
    >Since I am new to Java web development, I was stummped when one of my
    >clients asked me if I could do some web page maintenance to a ".do" web
    >page file. He tells me that this page was written in Java.

    If I recall correctly, at least the Struts MVC framework utilizes
    URL's ending with ".do". See http://struts.apache.org/ .
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland
    Juha Laiho, Dec 16, 2004