Help - WindowsIdentity.Name is Null?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Matt, May 23, 2008.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Hi -

    We have two different web applications that have just started showing
    an error that we can't quite track down. Both applications are hosted
    in II6, and both are setup to use Windows Authentication. A few users
    have changed their passwords according to our password policy, and now
    the following code throws an "Value Cannot be null" exception:

    string s;
    s =
    System.Security.Prinicipal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name.ToString();

    It appears that the name property is null.

    Yup, simply requesting the current users name causes the exception.
    We've inspected all of the other properties off of the WindowsIdentity
    instance, and they seem to be set (including "IsAuthenticated" is set
    to True). Does anyone have ANY idea what's going on here? Or even a
    thought about how to begin to track this down? It's a real
    puzzler. . . .

    -Matt and Noam

    Matt, May 23, 2008