Help with a decompiler

Abacus

Hello,

I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.

I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change the .exe
file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that does this
please ?

Thanks

John

Niklas Norrthon

Abacus said:
Hello,

I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.

I have a hamburger, that was once a cow...
I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change the .exe
file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that does this
please ?

I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the food processor and change the
hamburger back to a cow - can anyone suggest a magic spell that does this
please?
Thanks

John

Thanks

Niklas Norrthon

EventHelix.com

I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.
I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change the .exe
file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that does this
please ?

It is difficult if not impossible to do so. Modern compilers implement
so many optimization techniques that it would be difficult to
reconstruct C and C++ statements by looking at patterns of assembly
instructions.

Gernot Frisch

Abacus said:
Hello,

I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.

I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change
the .exe
file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that
does this
please ?

That's like turning a hamburger into a cow...

Arne Schmitz

Ben said:
Nice analogy!

So, decompilation works, if you feed the hamburger to a cow, get it to mate
with a bull, wait some months, and then in the end you have a cow similar
to, but completely different from, the one the hamburger was made of.

Now what is the software counterpart of the cow and the bull?

Arne

Gernot Frisch

So, decompilation works, if you feed the hamburger to a cow, get it
to mate
with a bull, wait some months, and then in the end you have a cow
similar
to, but completely different from, the one the hamburger was made
of.

Now what is the software counterpart of the cow and the bull?

If you feed hamburger to a cow, you get mad-cow disease.
hamburger = executable
cow = source code
mad-cow disease = asm { ... };

;)