    please ?

    Thanks

    John

    Abacus, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Abacus

    Sumit Rajan Guest

    "Abacus" <> wrote in message
    news:dn3tpe$6cs$-infra.bt.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.
    >
    > I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change the
    > .exe
    > file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that does
    > this
    > please ?

    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/compiler-dependencies.html#faq-38.4

    Regards,
    Sumit.
    --
    Sumit Rajan <>

    Sumit Rajan, Dec 6, 2005

  3. "Abacus" <> writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.

    I have a hamburger, that was once a cow...

    > I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change the .exe
    > file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that does this
    > please ?

    I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the food processor and change the
    hamburger back to a cow - can anyone suggest a magic spell that does this
    please?

    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Thanks

    Niklas Norrthon

    Niklas Norrthon, Dec 6, 2005
  4. > I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.

    > I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change the .exe
    > file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that does this
    > please ?

    It is difficult if not impossible to do so. Modern compilers implement
    so many optimization techniques that it would be difficult to
    reconstruct C and C++ statements by looking at patterns of assembly
    instructions.

    --
    EventStudio System Designer 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    Sequence Diagram Based System Design and Object Modeling Tool

    EventHelix.com, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Abacus

    Ben Pope Guest

    Gernot Frisch wrote:
    > "Abacus" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.
    >>
    >> I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change
    >> the .exe file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a
    >> package that does this please ?

    > That's like turning a hamburger into a cow...

    Nice analogy!

    Ben Pope

    Ben Pope, Dec 6, 2005

    Gernot Frisch, Dec 6, 2005
  7. Abacus

    Arne Schmitz Guest

    Ben Pope wrote:

    >>> I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change
    >>> the .exe file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a
    >>> package that does this please ?

    >> That's like turning a hamburger into a cow...

    > Nice analogy!

    So, decompilation works, if you feed the hamburger to a cow, get it to mate
    with a bull, wait some months, and then in the end you have a cow similar
    to, but completely different from, the one the hamburger was made of.

    Now what is the software counterpart of the cow and the bull?

    Arne

    --
    [--- PGP key FD05BED7 --- http://www.root42.de/ ---]

    Arne Schmitz, Dec 6, 2005

  8. > So, decompilation works, if you feed the hamburger to a cow, get it
    > to mate
    > with a bull, wait some months, and then in the end you have a cow
    > similar
    > to, but completely different from, the one the hamburger was made
    > of.
    >
    > Now what is the software counterpart of the cow and the bull?

    If you feed hamburger to a cow, you get mad-cow disease.
    hamburger = executable
    cow = source code
    mad-cow disease = asm { ... };

    ;)