Help with ASP server calls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Marek Krzeminski, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. I am new to ASP and I am having some problems that I hope someone can help
    me with.

    I am using WindowsXP and a book to try to learn ASP.

    The book instructed me to install IIS & .Net Framework v1.1 (which I did)

    In the book they gave me the following code:

    <script language="vb" runat="server">
    Sub Page_Load()
    time.text=Hour(Now) & ":" & Minute(Now) & ":" & Second(Now)
    End Sub
    </script>

    <h1>Welcome</h1>
    In WebServerLand the time is currently:
    <asp:label id="time" runat="server" />

    which I saved under the name "test.aspx" in my "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot"
    directory.

    When I open http://localhost/test.aspx in internet explorer, I only see:

    Welcome
    In WebServerLand the time is currently:

    For some reason the server side code does not execute.

    How can I fix this problem? I'm guessing that there is a setup step that I
    am missing somewhere.

    Help!

    Marek Krzeminski, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Hi Marek,

    Try doing the steps in the Resolution section here?

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jan 31, 2005

  3. Sounds like your web server or web site is not configured to run ASP.Net.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 31, 2005
  4. I followed the instructions in the link you provided and my ASP code now
    works

    HOWEVER, when I try to use Visual Studio to compile any C++ programs I get
    the following error:

    Build Log
    ------- Build started: Project: test, Configuration:
    Debug|Win32 -------

    Command Lines
    Creating temporary file "c:\Documents and Settings\Marek\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Temp\test\Debug\RSP000001.rsp" with
    contents
    [
    /Od /D "WIN32" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_CONSOLE" /D "_MBCS" /Gm /EHsc /RTC1 /MLd
    /Yu"stdafx.h" /Fp"Debug/test.pch" /Fo"Debug/" /Fd"Debug/vc70.pdb" /W3 /c
    /Wp64 /ZI /TP
    ".\test.cpp"
    ]
    Creating command line "cl.exe @"c:\Documents and Settings\Marek\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Temp\test\Debug\RSP000001.rsp" /nologo"
    Creating temporary file "c:\Documents and Settings\Marek\My Documents\Visual
    Studio Projects\Temp\test\Debug\RSP000002.rsp" with contents
    [
    /Od /D "WIN32" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_CONSOLE" /D "_MBCS" /Gm /EHsc /RTC1 /MLd
    /Yc"stdafx.h" /Fp"Debug/test.pch" /Fo"Debug/" /Fd"Debug/vc70.pdb" /W3 /c
    /Wp64 /ZI /TP
    ".\stdafx.cpp"
    ]
    Creating command line "cl.exe @"c:\Documents and Settings\Marek\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Temp\test\Debug\RSP000002.rsp" /nologo"

    Output Window

    Results
    Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Marek\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Temp\test\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    test - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

    I can't even make a hello world application!

    Help please!

    Marek Krzeminski, Feb 1, 2005
  5. You might want to reinstall VStudio to see if that fixes C++

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Feb 1, 2005