Help with asp website form

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mike, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I'm used to unix/cgi scripts so im slightly out of my depth here.
    Ive got an asp script for a website form which works fine.
    What i want to do is also get the form to include the ip address of the
    perosn sending the form ie
    <input type=hidden name=env_report value=REMOTE_ADDR>
    Anyone know how to apply this to this asp script below?:

    <%
    For Each x in request.form
    sBody = sBody & x & " = " & request.form(x) & vbCrLf
    Next
    Set MailObject = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    MailObject.From = ""
    MailObject.To = ""
    MailObject.Subject = "Form"
    MailObject.Body = sBody & vbCrLf

    MailObject.Send
    Set MailObject = Nothing
    ' Now redirect
    Response.Redirect "http://www.xxx/thank_you.htm"
    %>
    Mike, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Mike

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    you mean you want to get the literal "REMOTE_ADDR" as the from?

    Request.Form("inputNameHere")
    will get you what you want, it retrieves the value

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Jan 28, 2004

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > you mean you want to get the literal "REMOTE_ADDR" as the from?
    >
    > Request.Form("inputNameHere")
    > will get you what you want, it retrieves the value
    >
    > --
    > Curt Christianson
    > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
    > www.Darkfalz.com

    tried that but without success. i'm not quite sure where to insert this.
    Can you edit my code below so i can see exactly what/where you mean

    Mike, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Mike

    Ray at Guest

    Try:

    <%
    For Each x in request.form
    sBody = sBody & x & " = " & request.form(x) & vbCrLf
    Next

    sBody = sBody & "IP Address: " & Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
    ''rest of your code

    Also, instead of CDONTS, you should be using CDO, unless you're on an NT 4
    server. CDONTS is being phased out.
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Mike

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    Also, keep in mind that the reported IP may or may not be the actual
    IP, since proxies and NAT can report a different IP.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Mike

    Ray at Guest

    Not to mention that by grabbing the value from a form element, it can be
    whatever value someone wants it to be then, like if someone created his own
    form and posted it. I don't know anyone would want to do that in this
    particular example though.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myFirstNameATlane34dotKOMM> wrote in message
    > Try:
    >

    > <%
    > For Each x in request.form
    > sBody = sBody & x & " = " & request.form(x) & vbCrLf
    > Next
    >
    > sBody = sBody & "IP Address: " & Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
    > ''rest of your code
    >

    > Also, instead of CDONTS, you should be using CDO, unless you're on an NT 4
    > server. CDONTS is being phased out.
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
    >
    > Ray at home

    Thanks ray that works a treat, just the help i was after. Thanks for that
    :)
    Mike, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > Also, instead of CDONTS, you should be using CDO, unless you're on an NT 4
    > server. CDONTS is being phased out.
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
    >
    > Ray at home

    Is this likely to be phased out soon?
    FYI: The host is www.hostmysite.com

    As i said i know nothing about asp / CDONTS / CDO.

    currently i am using the above script with a form action of:

    <form name="form" method="post" action="http://www.xxx.com/form.asp">

    Is there a simple way to alter the current script to CDO or am i going to
    have to look for somehting new?

    Your advice is appreciated
    Mike, Jan 28, 2004
  9. Mike

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Win2000 is the last server OS to carry CDONTS natively, and already has CDO
    as well.
    Win2003 is CDO

    Curt_C [MVP], Jan 28, 2004
  10. Mike

    Ray at Guest

    Changing from CDONTS to CDO isn't really hard. You could probably actually
    do it with a find/replace in a text editor, for the most part. But
    something else to consider is to create a sub or a function to handle
    e-mailing and use that in your code, so that if you have to change mail
    components, you just change the code in your sub.

    Sub SendAnEmail(sFrom, sTo, sSubject, sBody)
    Set oMail = CreateObject("YourMailComponent")
    '''code to send e-mail

    End Sub

    Then anywhere in your ASP code where you need to send e-mail, just call the
    sub and pass the arguments. You'd want to put this sub in an include file
    so you can use it in any page.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Jan 28, 2004
  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > Changing from CDONTS to CDO isn't really hard. You could probably

    actually
    > do it with a find/replace in a text editor, for the most part. But
    > something else to consider is to create a sub or a function to handle
    > e-mailing and use that in your code, so that if you have to change mail
    > components, you just change the code in your sub.
    >

    > Sub SendAnEmail(sFrom, sTo, sSubject, sBody)
    > Set oMail = CreateObject("YourMailComponent")
    > '''code to send e-mail
    >
    > End Sub
    >

    > Then anywhere in your ASP code where you need to send e-mail, just call

    the
    > sub and pass the arguments. You'd want to put this sub in an include file
    > so you can use it in any page.
    >
    > Ray at home

    not sure im with you on the changes.

    Does anyone have a basic default cdo asp file script knocking about that
    simply sends the form contents
    and provides a redirect page.

    Im simply looking for an asp which can be called via:

    <form name="form" method="post" action="http://www.xxx.com/form.asp">

    whch then submits to email. i think it would be wise if i find a CDO one
    now rather than later.

    cgi/unix scripts are 10 a penny but asp ones seem more difficult to find
    Mike, Jan 29, 2004
  12. Mike

    Ray at Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > not sure im with you on the changes.

    That's okay. One step at a time.

    > Does anyone have a basic default cdo asp file script knocking about that
    > simply sends the form contents
    > and provides a redirect page.

    I posted a decent link in my first reply yesterday. Did you check out the
    page? Here's the link again.
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

    > i think it would be wise if i find a CDO one
    > now rather than later.

    I commend you for that attitude. Most people would say the Hell with it and
    make things harder for themselves later on. Good job. :]

    > cgi/unix scripts are 10 a penny but asp ones seem more difficult to find

    If you have not already done so, bookmark http://www.darkfalz.com/ and the
    the sites found at http://www.darkfalz.com/Links.aspx.

    Ray at work
    Ray at, Jan 29, 2004
  13. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Ok this basic cdo script seems to dot he trick.

    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%
    Option Explicit
    Dim iMsg
    Set iMsg = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    iMsg.To = ""
    iMsg.Subject = "This is the Subject"
    iMsg.From = "Me <>"
    iMsg.TextBody = "This is the body of the message"
    iMsg.Send
    %>
    The problem is how i go about adding the following elements:

    1) Getting the form to submit the contents of all form fields.
    Obviously currently all it submits is the text body message: "This is the
    body of the message"

    2) Specifying a redirect url
    Response.Redirect "http://www.xxx.com/thank_you.htm"

    3) Adding the ip address of the form sender ie:
    sBody = sBody & "IP Address: " & Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")

    Any help in correctly adding the above to the script would be appreciated
    Mike, Jan 29, 2004
  14. Mike

    Ray at Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > Ok this basic cdo script seems to dot he trick.
    >
    > <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    > <%
    > Option Explicit
    > Dim iMsg
    > Set iMsg = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    > iMsg.To = ""
    > iMsg.Subject = "This is the Subject"
    > iMsg.From = "Me <>"
    > iMsg.TextBody = "This is the body of the message"
    > iMsg.Send
    > %>
    > The problem is how i go about adding the following elements:
    >
    > 1) Getting the form to submit the contents of all form fields.
    > Obviously currently all it submits is the text body message: "This is the
    > body of the message"

    Remember in your original post you had that For Each x in request.form
    line...? You can still use that variable in place of the text string that's
    currently set as the .textbody.

    > 2) Specifying a redirect url
    > Response.Redirect "http://www.xxx.com/thank_you.htm"

    Use that exact line that you have there. (Or just response.redirect
    "/thankyou.htm" if this is all taking place on your site.)

    > 3) Adding the ip address of the form sender ie:
    > sBody = sBody & "IP Address: " & Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")

    As covered in the original reply. I think now it's just a matter of piecing
    it all together.

    Ray at work
    Ray at, Jan 29, 2004
  15. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Ok this basic cdo script seems to dot he trick.
    > >
    > > <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    > > <%
    > > Option Explicit
    > > Dim iMsg
    > > Set iMsg = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    > > iMsg.To = ""
    > > iMsg.Subject = "This is the Subject"
    > > iMsg.From = "Me <>"
    > > iMsg.TextBody = "This is the body of the message"
    > > iMsg.Send
    > > %>
    > > The problem is how i go about adding the following elements:
    > >
    > > 1) Getting the form to submit the contents of all form fields.
    > > Obviously currently all it submits is the text body message: "This is

    the
    > > body of the message"

    > Remember in your original post you had that For Each x in request.form
    > line...? You can still use that variable in place of the text string

    that's
    > currently set as the .textbody.
    >

    > > 2) Specifying a redirect url
    > > Response.Redirect "http://www.xxx.com/thank_you.htm"

    > Use that exact line that you have there. (Or just response.redirect
    > "/thankyou.htm" if this is all taking place on your site.)
    >

    > > 3) Adding the ip address of the form sender ie:
    > > sBody = sBody & "IP Address: " & Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")

    > As covered in the original reply. I think now it's just a matter of

    piecing
    > it all together.
    >
    > Ray at work

    Hi
    sry not sure i was clear, i tried to create the right script but because
    i'm not familar with asp i can't find the errors.
    perhaps easier if i post what i have (see below). can you tell me whats
    wrong?

    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%
    Option Explicit
    Dim iMsg
    Set iMsg = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    For Each x in request.form
    sBody = sBody & x & " = " & request.form(x) & vbCrLf

    iMsg.To =
    iMsg.Subject = "This is the Subject"
    iMsg.From = "Me "
    iMsg.Body = sBody & vbCrLf
    iMsg.sBody = sBody & "IP Address: " &

    Mike, Jan 29, 2004
  16. Mike

    Ray at Guest

    You didn't close your For loop.

    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%

    Ray at, Jan 29, 2004
  17. Mike

    Ray at Guest

    I did not look closely enough. There's no .body or .sbody thing. You had
    the right property in there before. .TextBody.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 29, 2004
  18. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I must be close! grrr.
    Any pointers what is wrong?

    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%

    Mike, Jan 29, 2004
  19. Mike

    Ray at Guest

    I really think that if you step back and look at everything, you'll be able
    to piece it all together. I don't mean this in a snide way, but is your
    intention to learn ASP or just get this script working and not care about
    learning anything?

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 29, 2004
  20. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > I really think that if you step back and look at everything, you'll be

    able
    > to piece it all together. I don't mean this in a snide way, but is your
    > intention to learn ASP or just get this script working and not care about
    > learning anything?
    >
    > Ray at work

    The best way i learn this basic stuff is by knowing the answer (ie seeing a
    working script) so I can see
    where its wrong and work backwards.
    I appreciate what your saying, youve helped enough.

    Can anyone else tell me what is wrong with this basic script?

    many thanks
    Mike, Jan 29, 2004