Help with backward link

ken

I know how to have a link to known page but is there way of having a link
going back to a previous page.
ie:

Page 3 >page 2
Now I want the ability of either going back to Page 3 or Page 1 without
"hard coding" the link back to page3?

Thank you any help.

Ken

David Dorward

ken said:
I know how to have a link to known page but is there way of having a link
going back to a previous page.

The browser already has one, usually at the left hand end of the toolbar.
Don't worry about trying to duplication its functionality (as you can't do
a good job of it).

Disco Octopus

ken said:
I know how to have a link to known page but is there way of having a link
going back to a previous page.
ie:

Page 3 >page 2
Now I want the ability of either going back to Page 3 or Page 1 without
"hard coding" the link back to page3?

Thank you any help.

Ken

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Has anyone anywhere ever found these JavaScript 'back' links useful?

They actually take you Forward, don't they? So that if you then use the
regular Back button, you go back to the page with that JavaScript link.

Jukka K. Korpela

Has anyone anywhere ever found these JavaScript 'back' links useful?

Yes, they are a useful indication of bogosity. When you are looking for
information and have to scan through dozens of Google hits, "Go back"
links are useful for quick evaluation, along with "Bookmark this
page!", "Top of page", etc. Of course, there is no point in clicking on
them, since nobody knows without trying _where_ they take you.

David Dorward

They actually take you Forward, don't they? So that if you then use the
regular Back button, you go back to the page with that JavaScript link.

I don't think so, that is just what you expect from a link, so when you then
use the back button you get surprised when you end up on the page two
previous to the one you were expecting to get to.

Disco Octopus

David said:
I don't think so, that is just what you expect from a link, so when you then
use the back button you get surprised when you end up on the page two
previous to the one you were expecting to get to.

In an application I am building, the users (several thousand users) have
requested this exact behaviour. That is, that a link act as the browsers
back button.

Even though the bogosity factor for this may be up there in some peoples
eyes, it is still a requirement amongst users.