Help with Carriage Return in XSL

Pia

Please help! I'm trying to get my xsl to produce 0x0D, not just 0x0A.
Any ideas on how to do this? Right now, if I try the following, my
output only shows 0x0a:

<xsl:variable name="cr" select="'
'"/>
<xsl:value-of select="$cr"/>

Thank you!
Pia

Pia

Is there any way to do it at all? What did you mean by "reliable"?
That it depends on the parser? Just curious . . . .

Richard Tobin

Pia said:
Please help! I'm trying to get my xsl to produce 0x0D, not just 0x0A.

XML parsers convert carriage-return to linefeed when they read in a
document, so putting a carriage-return in your XML output doesn't
do much good: it will turn back into linefeed when the XML file is
used.

Why do you want to do this?

-- Richard

Dimitre Novatchev [MVP XML]

Richard Tobin said:
XML parsers convert carriage-return to linefeed when they read in a
document, so putting a carriage-return in your XML output doesn't
do much good: it will turn back into linefeed when the XML file is
used.

Why do you want to do this?

He may want to produce non-xml output -- e.g.:
<xsl:eek:utput method="text"/>

Mike Kay was explaining long ago that whether to produce
or not is not
mandated in the XSLT spec and is implementation dependent -- e.g. may depend
on the workings of a specific Java VM, etc.

Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev [XML MVP],
FXSL developer, XML Insider,

Pia

I want to produce text, that's exactly right. Are you saying I might
be able to use another java vm for a different result? How?