Help with code

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ferdy, Mar 20, 2007.

  1. Ferdy

    Ferdy Guest

    Hello Support,

    I submitted my site here:

    http://whois.domaintools.com/aprostores.com

    to get an evaluation of my SEO ranking. Here are the results:

    Optimization Score: 84%
    Large images are missing alt text: Large images should have alt text.
    Not all images on page have width & height dimensions: Make sure all img
    tags have height & width attributes.
    Link URLs contain querystrings: Rewrite links to work without using
    querystrings.

    Can someone help with the necessary code to fix these items? I cannot find
    help with this anywhere on the whois.com website. I have included the
    website address below so that you can view the source code.

    Thank you,
    __________________
    Ferdy
    President
    A-Pro Stores
    www.aprostores.com

    Ferdy, Mar 20, 2007

  2. Ferdy

    Andrew Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:34:00 -0500, Ferdy wrote:

    > Hello Support,
    >
    > I submitted my site here:
    >
    > http://whois.domaintools.com/aprostores.com
    >
    > to get an evaluation of my SEO ranking. Here are the results:

    [...]
    > __________________
    > Ferdy
    > President
    > A-Pro Stores
    > www.aprostores.com

    Hi Ferdy,

    Just a little to one side of your question: did you make this site
    yourself? And if so did you use an editor? (I see in the source that you
    mention 'ProStores' which I gather is some sort of commercial site
    generation software.)

    BTW I am sure I will not be the only one to tell you that this is not
    'Support' :)

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew Strong
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/

    Andrew, Mar 20, 2007

  3. Ferdy

    Ferdy Guest

    Hi Andrew,

    LOL yes, I know it's not support. I copied and pasted this from a support
    website (which hasn't responded, thank you for yours).

    Yes, it is a commercial "cookie cutter" site, ProStores by ebay. (The name
    similarity is just a coincidence). I have heard that they are not
    particularly search engine friendly, but that my be just rumor.

    Anyway, I can and do have the ability to edit the header, footer and body
    codes for the page. I just don't know the proper syntax to write html code.

    Can you help me?

    Thanks,

    --
    Fred Murray
    President

    Ferdy, Mar 20, 2007
  4. Ferdy

    dorayme Guest

    In article <cWILh.6641$>,
    "Ferdy" <> wrote:

    > I just don't know the proper syntax to write html code.

    You don't know anything abut it or a bit?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 20, 2007
  5. Ferdy

    Andrew Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:55:03 -0500, Ferdy wrote:

    [...]

    > Anyway, I can and do have the ability to edit the header, footer and body
    > codes for the page. I just don't know the proper syntax to write html code.
    >
    > Can you help me?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Hi Ferdy,

    Well, I am a novice myself but you may cause more damage to your site
    than good if your are unsure of writing HTML. Completing the alt tag is
    no big job, although you have a lot of pages. Have a read:

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/alt.html

    As for the height and width for images, most that I saw had this
    specified. Any that are missing would be a pain to put in by hand :)
    Surely your software has the ability to add this as you go?

    Links with query strings must be addressing dynamically created pages:
    this is out of my area completely but is discussed here:

    http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=40349&ctx=related

    under 'Make your site easily accessible'.

    But it depends what you are after. Search engines usually prefer well
    structured pages: <h1> to <h6> for headings, paragraph information in <p>
    quotes in <blockquote> etc. Your software does not pay too much attention
    to this :) A reference for this is:

    http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/publish.html#index-better

    But if you simply want to sell stuff, without learning to write
    well-formed HTML, your site appears to have that already with or without
    so called 'SEO Optimisation' and I wish you all the best with it!
    However if you wish to learn HTML / web design your site will definitely
    benefit :)

    Andrew (novice web writer)

    --
    Andrew Strong
    http://www.strong-family.org

    Andrew, Mar 20, 2007
  6. Ferdy

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 20 Mar, 02:34, "Ferdy" <> wrote:

    > Can someone help with the necessary code to fix these items?

    Yes, they're called "web developers". You can employ them. Some of
    them are even worth hiring.

    Alternatively you can learn to do it yourself. If you want a tutorial,
    the only one I'd recommend is O'Reilly's "Head First HTML with CSS &
    XHTML". You will need to do some work here - it's a non-trivial
    exercise.

    As to optimising your site, then I think it's impossible to SEO your
    homepage and overall site. It's a drop-shipper bucketshop with a wide
    range of products -- there's no rational Google search for which it
    _ought_ to be returned. if you want targetting, then you need focus.
    Try setting the store up to have a stronger "department" character
    where appropriate and work on optimising search results for those.
    Your homepage itself is probably only going to be used by people
    typing the name from memory. Search engine traffic will be going in
    deeper immediately.

    Apart from that, SEO is easy. Don't try and cheat, the gains are
    negligible and short-lived anyway. Instead have some _content_ on
    there. Good images, good descriptive text. Good accessible design
    that's accessible to the infamous blind users with obscure browsing
    tools is also good accesible content for search engine spiders. Read
    Joe Clark's free web book on accessibility.

    If you have good original content (maybe a dating guide to Tiffany
    lamps, that sort of thing) then you'll get pagerank from other sites
    and antiques chatboards referencing you.

    Andy Dingley, Mar 20, 2007
  7. On Mar 19, 10:34 pm, "Ferdy" <> wrote:
    > http://whois.domaintools.com/aprostores.com
    > to get an evaluation of my SEO ranking. Here are the results:
    > Optimization Score: 84%
    > Large images are missing alt text: Large images should have alt text.

    When you added images, it should have ask you what alt text you want
    to add. This will appear if the images can not be seen (for what ever
    reason) A google search of "alt text" should provide you with enough
    info to know what it is and how to set it.

    > Not all images on page have width & height dimensions: Make sure all img
    > tags have height & width attributes.

    bla bla bla, don't worry, be happy. If they are there then the
    browser doesn't have to calculate the image size because you've told
    it the height and width values already. If the height and width
    attributes are not included, the browser has to load the entire image,
    then calculate its size before displaying it. I don't believe it will
    effect your ranking either way.

    > Link URLs contain query strings: Rewrite links to work without using
    > query strings.

    Search engines can still crawl a site with URL query strings. But
    look at this site for a little more information:
    http://www.smart-it-consulting.com/article.htm?node=140&page=53
    (heheh note the query string....)

    You know, a simple search of google could have provided you with all
    these answers.

    Travis Newbury, Mar 20, 2007
  8. Ferdy

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-03-20, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 10:34 pm, "Ferdy" <> wrote:

    [...]
    >> Not all images on page have width & height dimensions: Make sure all img
    >> tags have height & width attributes.

    > bla bla bla, don't worry, be happy. If they are there then the
    > browser doesn't have to calculate the image size because you've told
    > it the height and width values already. If the height and width
    > attributes are not included, the browser has to load the entire image,
    > then calculate its size before displaying it. I don't believe it will
    > effect your ranking either way.

    The image dimensions are typically stored in the header of the image
    file. But most browsers try to make a start at laying out the text
    before the images have finished loading from the server. If you provide
    the sizes, the browser can leave holes in the text that are the right
    dimensions for the images when they arrive and you save some
    reformatting.

    Ben C, Mar 20, 2007
  9. On Mar 20, 12:11 pm, Ben C <> wrote:
    > > bla bla bla, don't worry, be happy. If they are there then the
    > > browser doesn't have to calculate the image size because you've told
    > > it the height and width values already. If the height and width
    > > attributes are not included, the browser has to load the entire image,
    > > then calculate its size before displaying it. I don't believe it will
    > > effect your ranking either way.

    > The image dimensions are typically stored in the header of the image
    > file. But most browsers try to make a start at laying out the text
    > before the images have finished loading from the server. If you provide
    > the sizes, the browser can leave holes in the text that are the right
    > dimensions for the images when they arrive and you save some
    > reformatting.

    Still won't effect the ranking

    Travis Newbury, Mar 20, 2007